Festival Miami returns to the University of Miami

Dean Shelly Berg performed at last year's Festival Miami event 'Bruce Hornsby and Friends'.

Festival Miami is one of the most important events hosted by The Frost School of Music, a celebration of culture and diversity through music that brings artists from all over the world to the University of Miami campus.

The festival was started 26 years ago and has grown immensely over the years. Since it began, the festival has attracted award-winning artists from around the globe, providing the South Floridian audience with a month full of excellent entertainment.

This year’s festival will begin on Oct. 2, and will finish on Oct. 30. It has been divided into four different themes, Great Performances, Music of the Americas, Jazz and Beyond and Creative American Music. Each week will be dedicated to one of these themes.

For the planners of the festival it is a year filled with hard work. Planning begins with a meeting in which the artists are chosen based on ideas from faculty members and the artist’s availability.

“The process of getting artists to sign a contract is probably the one that takes the longest,” Marianne Mijares, the events planner said. Marketing, public relations, and scheduling follow.

After all the hard work, the festival commences, offering various opportunities to students.

“It’s a good place to exhibit your work, it’s also a lot of fun to see what others are doing, to see different styles of music and what is current,” Amanda Zelman, a junior at the school of music, said.

The artists not only perform concerts on campus but also participate in lectures, workshops, master classes and forums. Music students are able to present their composed works and have them critiqued by these professional musicians. This year’s lineup includes artists such as Latin Grammy winner, Arturo Sandoval.

“I am looking forward to showcase my work, I did it last year, I had a piece on the piano,” Zelman said.

“All concerts are made affordable for the community,” Mijares said. “How often do you have all these great musicians play on campus?”

Most concerts take place in the Maurice Gusman Concert Hall and the Victor E. Clarke Recital Hall, both located in the Coral Gables campus.

Loubna Turjuman

ONE COMMENT ON THIS POST To “Festival Miami returns to the University of Miami”

1. We’d love to help promote this wonderful event. You’re welcome to post it free on our site at Miami Music Events.

The unopened Christmas gift that University of Miami defensive coordinator Manny Diaz recently spoke ...

The University of Miami is in conversations about playing the University of Alabama to kick off the ...