Fashion 4Word: Fall Trends

Looks from the 1960s and 1990s are back this fall, and students have taken notice. Sporting these trends in and out of the classroom, stylish undergrads choose key pieces from the past to create effortless, cool, modern outfits.

1960s Silhouettes

Take a hint from the television show Mad Men and show off your alluring silhouette. The 1960s look is flattering on any shape, with tailored pieces and clean lines. Gents can look sharp in suit coats and skinny ties, pairing the look with jeans to dress it down. Ladies can highlight their hourglass figure with cigarette pants, high-waisted pencil skirts, flirty blouses and structured dresses, complete with a fitted bodice and full skirt.

Plaid, Round Two

This season plaid is back with an edgier, ‘90s grunge vibe. The preppy styles of seasons past are still available in stores, but students on the cutting edge know that the look needs to be reworked to stay trendy. Girls style their fitted plaid shirts with cuffed shorts or skinny jeans. Guys can pair their plaid with khakis or destroyed denim pants. Roll up the shirt’s sleeves and throw on a pair of Converse sneakers to complete this modern take on 90’s grunge.

Tiny Floral Print

Another throwback to the 1990s, tiny floral print is a key component of fall fashion. Feminine and delicate, the prints can be found on skirts, dresses, knit tops, and blouses. Avoid looking like a kindergarten teacher by keeping the look trendy. Make sure skirts fall above the knee, and add a waist belt and wedges for extra flair.

Biker Jackets

Ladies can tap into their inner bad girls by wearing this season’s hottest trend: the biker jacket. Made from a variety of material ranging from terrycloth to leather, there is an option for everyone. Be sure they include edgy zippers, grommets and lots of attitude. A revival from the 1990s, this jacket will be a wardrobe staple when the temperature finally dips later in the semester.

Danielle Kaslow

Senior EDGE Writer

The attorneys for University of Miami men’s basketball coach Jim Larrañaga expect indictments to be ...

Few could have imagined this scenario coming into Saturday’s University of Miami football game at ho ...

Alex Cora’s success hasn’t surprised Miami Hurricanes baseball coach Jim Morris. Cora, according to ...

Behind a historic performance from senior Olga Strantzali, the University of Miami volleyball team b ...

The Miami women's tennis team opened play Friday at the ITA Southeast Regional Championships Pr ...

The Miami soccer team will conclude its 2017 home slate Sunday against Notre Dame and recognize its ...