Dear V

Dear V: I think I’m the last straight person on campus…

After reading countless Dear V articles as I sit bored in different classes, I have come to one conclusion. The entire student-body, both men and women, must be gay. I forget the last time I actually read a “Dear V” article and it had some meaning for the straight student body that walks on this campus everyday. Basically every single question you receive and every answer you respond with is about being or trying homosexuality. So I’m just curious to ask is it just me, or are my friends I have discussed this with and I the only straight students at UM?

Sincerely,

Annoyed by Being Straight at UM

Dear Straight,

I am delighted that you would be so bold as to ask me this question.  It opens the floor for much needed discussion about sexuality in college (and let’s face it, that’s what I’m all about).

When people joke about “experimenting” in college, there really is some truth to it. College is a time during which a lot of people learn what makes them tick. Or experience things they might never want anything to do with ever again. Whether you lost your virginity in high school, waited until college, or are still a virgin, I guarantee that college provides a wealth of firsts for everyone.

That being said, sexual orientation is a prevalent subject matter. Whether you’ve known that you’re gay all along and are coming out, have always been out and want to feel more comfortable in a welcoming environment, or have been questioning your sexuality and need to decide what works best for you, college is often a great opportunity to explore your options.

UM definitely boasts a diverse, tolerant student body with a strong gay community. That’s not to say that everyone is hitting for the other team, but with groups like SpectrUM on campus, it shows that there is no shortage of UM students that are at least rooting for them.

Now, I like to keep an open mind. When somebody writes me a letter, they usually don’t include things along the lines of, “I’m a lesbian” or “I’m a straight male.” The truth is, love is love.  Sex is sex. Issues are issues. It is not my place to assign genders and sexual orientations to people who enlist my help.

No matter how embarrassing or obscure the issue, it can expand to a broader issue at hand, from which most of us can take a lesson. Be it broadening one’s horizons, trust, faith–what have you–we all become romantically impaired at one point or another. And now is a great time to learn how to handle these problems before entering the “real world.”

But I suppose you forgot to pick up a copy of The Hurricane the time I addressed the young man who was concerned about his penis being too big for his girlfriend’s vagina.

Best!

Have a question for V? Hit up DearV@themiamihurricane.com.

Advice Columnist

This time, there was no miracle Miami win over Duke. The fifth-ranked Blue Devils rallied from a 13- ...

It was obvious before tipoff that the University of Miami game against No. 5 Duke was no ordinary Hu ...

Miami Hurricanes backup quarterback Evan Shirreffs announced Monday on Twitter that he will transfer ...

Here’s one of the many neat things about the UM football program, a tradition that has carried on fo ...

Clemson coach Brad Brownell had a simple plan at the only practice before facing No. 18 Miami — don ...

The Beaux Arts Festival of Art debuts at a new site with picture-perfect weather and a panoply of or ...

Dr. Martin Luther King Jr.’s vision for a “Beloved Community” has inspired a number of University of ...

UM launches three cyber security certificate programs to equip professionals for the growing employm ...

The second annual Big Data Conference and Workshop hosted by UM Center for Computational Science enc ...

Now in its 67th year, the Beaux Arts Festival will move to the Foote University Green. ...

Freshman jumper Hasani Knight was named ACC Men's Field Performer of the Week. ...

MIami volleyball signee Chloe Brown was named the 2017-18 Gatorade Oregon Volleyball Player of the Y ...

The University of Miami women's basketball team will play the first of two home games in a 31-d ...

Lonnie Walker IV scored 19 points, but it wasn't enough as the Canes fell to the Blue Devils at ...

The University of Miami women's basketball team took down Clemson behind a career-high 19 point ...