Beach shuttles return this Sunday

The next shuttle to Crandon Park Beach on Key Biscayne will be leaving this Sunday during Family Weekend.

Parents of students can also ride the shuttles for free with the name badges they receive from Family Weekend.

The first monthly shuttle on Sept. 5 had a much larger turnout than expected despite the heavy storm that day.

“Every shuttle was almost completely full,” said Kristen Weaver, vice president of Student Government.

Two buses filled up at 10 a.m. and had to leave together, slightly altering the schedule of the buses.

The shuttles are sponsored by Student Government and the Department of Parking and Transportation.

“It’s a good use of shuttles to have them go off campus because it helps freshman learn about where they are living,” said Genevieve Stack, a sophomore who rode on the first bus.

Stack also likes these shuttles for personal reasons.

“We are cheap and we do not have to pay for parking if we ride the shuttle,” Stack said.

These buses loop every half hour from Stanford Circle and Key Biscayne between 10 a.m. and 5 p.m., a 45-minute round trip.

Buses to Crandon Park have been tried before, running weekly, but were not successful because of a lack of participation; the last one ran in 2005.

Info box:
When: Sunday
Time: Shuttles loop every half hour from Stanford Circle and Key Biscayne between 10 a.m. and 5 p.m.
Who: UM students with Cane Cards
Price: Free of charge