Escaping an unwanted rendezvous

In college, most students will end up regretting a hook up at some point. Many unwanted hook ups result from people not having enough of a backbone to say no, because they do not want to someone’s hurt feelings.

Just learn to say no. It sounds simple, but for some, being nice is obligatory. A hook up should never be obligatory. If it is not something that you want to do, then just do not do it.

If no is impossible for you, avoidance can be a backup plan. Remember, not every phone call or text message requires a response. If you see the person at a party, feel free to duck behind a friend or the bushes. Looking foolish might not be favorable, but if it works, take the cowardly way out.

If the pressures are coming from a close friend and you know it would not benefit your relationship, talk to them. You have a mouth. Use it. Communication is essential. An explanation of “I’m not really into you that way” will be far better than letting the other think the possibility is there.

Spontaneous hook ups seem sexy and risky, but they are not meant for everybody. Of course, not everyone can understand that others might not find them as attractive as they think they are. Egos, oftentimes, wind up being popped and deflated, especially when rejected.

Do not feel bad if you are the person who pops the ego bubble. Honestly, they will recover. Everyone could use a dose of humility. Remember they had the nerves to ask or insist on a little play time, so you can have the backbone to be honest and turn the offer down.

Jenny Hamilton

Contributing Columnist

Gino DiMare on Tuesday stood in a spot that two men before him had crafted into a pinnacle of succes ...

The NBA Draft is on Thursday, and the buzz around the league is that the University of Miami’s Lonni ...

Former NFL and University of Miami star Kellen Winslow Jr. was arrested Thursday for numerous allege ...

Trevor Darling's perseverance paid off. After not being selected in the NFL Draft, the former U ...

Father's Day has never been a big holiday in the Larranaga household because basketball always ...

Colder Atlantic temperatures could change hurricane season forecasts, but the trend isn't expec ...

UM neurorehabilitation expert David S. Kushner, M.D., who helps modern patients recover from brain s ...

Gino DiMare was officially introduced as the 10th head baseball coach in program history Tuesday in ...

Jaquan Johnson was named to Athlon Sports' Preseason All-America First Team, while Shaq Quarter ...

An outstanding showing at the USATF Championships earned Symone Mason a trip to the World U20 Champi ...

UM alum returns to lead Canes' MBB strength and conditioning efforts. ...

Amy Deem was recognized for the third time as the ACC Women's Outdoor Track and Field Coach of ...