Escaping an unwanted rendezvous

In college, most students will end up regretting a hook up at some point. Many unwanted hook ups result from people not having enough of a backbone to say no, because they do not want to someone’s hurt feelings.

Just learn to say no. It sounds simple, but for some, being nice is obligatory. A hook up should never be obligatory. If it is not something that you want to do, then just do not do it.

If no is impossible for you, avoidance can be a backup plan. Remember, not every phone call or text message requires a response. If you see the person at a party, feel free to duck behind a friend or the bushes. Looking foolish might not be favorable, but if it works, take the cowardly way out.

If the pressures are coming from a close friend and you know it would not benefit your relationship, talk to them. You have a mouth. Use it. Communication is essential. An explanation of “I’m not really into you that way” will be far better than letting the other think the possibility is there.

Spontaneous hook ups seem sexy and risky, but they are not meant for everybody. Of course, not everyone can understand that others might not find them as attractive as they think they are. Egos, oftentimes, wind up being popped and deflated, especially when rejected.

Do not feel bad if you are the person who pops the ego bubble. Honestly, they will recover. Everyone could use a dose of humility. Remember they had the nerves to ask or insist on a little play time, so you can have the backbone to be honest and turn the offer down.

Jenny Hamilton

Contributing Columnist

March is just around the corner; and University of Miami basketball coach Jim Larrañaga wants his pl ...

Erykah Davenport always hated being The Tall Girl. Every class picture, she was in the back row, tow ...

A little more than two years ago, Larry Scott was serving as the Miami Hurricanes’ interim head coac ...

The college basketball world woke up Friday morning to a bombshell report by Yahoo Sports detailing ...

A six-pack of Canes notes on a Thursday: ▪ Draft-eligible Canes players are getting increasing recog ...

Student a cappella group BisCaydence wins quarterfinals and advances to the next round in the intern ...

A closer look at the University of Miami's executive vice president for business and finance an ...

The popular Christian minister preached to more people than any other evangelist in history. ...

A vigil on the University of Miami campus, organized by UM students who graduated from Marjory Stone ...

The latest speaker in the popular lecture series at the Rosenstiel School, Jeff Goodell, shared insi ...

The Miami women's basketball team plays its last game of the 2017-18 regular season Sunday at 4 ...

Canes and Eagles play at 2 p.m. Saturday in key ACC matchup. ...

Continuing a season-opening, seven-game homestand, No. 24 Miami is looking for its second straight s ...

The Miami women's tennis team resumes play Saturday with its second match of the season at a ne ...

Check out the best images from Day 1 at the 2018 ACC Indoor Championships. ...