Soccer

Soccer splits weekend matches

The UM football team wasn’t the only sports team on campus to face a ranked opponent over the weekend. In fact, the University of Miami women’s soccer team faced two. The squad split matches against No. 3 Boston College and No. 9 Maryland over the weekend.

Thursday night the Canes fell to Boston College as the orange and green could not muster any offense. Before the first half the Eagles scored twice in the span of four minutes. The first score came  in the 33rd minute off a great filtered ball. BC added an insurance goal in the 37th minute off a superb left foot shot that curved into the far post beyond Vikki Alonzo’s reach.

The Canes two closest threats came off the foot of junior Britney Steinbruch. The first opportunity occurred in the first half. She cut into the middle of the field and took an open shot just outside the box. Her second chance was in the second half off the left side with a left foot shot that was barely saved by the goalie.

Miami responded three days later with a 2-0 shutout of their own against Maryland.

Alonzo recorded her fifteenth shutout of her career. She broke the record for most shutouts in a UM career and she is only a sophomore.

“It feels great,” Alonzo said with a smile. “I couldn’t have done it without my teammate always backing me up.”

It was a memorable afternoon also for head coach Tricia Taliaferro. She recorded her 100th victory as a head coach. The win was emotional for Taliaferro because she beat her alma mater.

“Any win feels good. You always have that piece of you that wants to beat your alumni,” said Taliaferro who was a four year starter at Maryland from 1992-1995.

The first goal came in the 26th minute off a corner taken by freshman Megan Siebert. Fellow freshman Jordan Roseboro tapped it in for a goal.

The second goal came in the 62nd minute when senior Beverly Goebel fed the ball to Steinbruch in the middle of the field. After avoiding one tackle and creating space outside the box she shot the ball into the far netting beyond the reach of the Terrapin keeper.

The Canes next meet No. 5 Florida State, their third straight ranked opponent, at 1:00 p.m. on Oct 4th in Tallahassee.

Debora Rubi may be contacted at drubi@themiamihurricane.com.

Debora Rubi

The college football season doesn't begin until the end of August, but that never stops media o ...

There were indications, even before Lonnie Walker IV was selected No. 18 by the San Antonio Spurs in ...

Add another player to the Miami Hurricanes' 2019 recruiting class. Defensive end Jahfari Harvey ...

From the onset, the Miami Hurricanes' plan was for the Carol Soffer football indoor practice fa ...

Gino DiMare on Tuesday stood in a spot that two men before him had crafted into a pinnacle of succes ...

At the University of Miami, employee recognition comes in many forms. ...

Community art project encourages the public to explore the vibrant downtown area of Coral Gables and ...

It appears that his third run for the presidency will be successful as he distances himself from the ...

Anna Runia won the women's 400m hurdles at the Netherlands track and field championships, while ...

The University of Miami volleyball program will host nine ACC home matches and the Sunshine State Ch ...

Walker picked 18th overall by San Antonio Spurs, Brown 42nd by Detroit Pistons. ...

Gino DiMare was introduced as the 10th head baseball coach in Canes' history. ...

The University of Miami women's golf team had three individuals selected to the 2018 Atlantic C ...