Soccer

Soccer splits weekend matches

The UM football team wasn’t the only sports team on campus to face a ranked opponent over the weekend. In fact, the University of Miami women’s soccer team faced two. The squad split matches against No. 3 Boston College and No. 9 Maryland over the weekend.

Thursday night the Canes fell to Boston College as the orange and green could not muster any offense. Before the first half the Eagles scored twice in the span of four minutes. The first score came  in the 33rd minute off a great filtered ball. BC added an insurance goal in the 37th minute off a superb left foot shot that curved into the far post beyond Vikki Alonzo’s reach.

The Canes two closest threats came off the foot of junior Britney Steinbruch. The first opportunity occurred in the first half. She cut into the middle of the field and took an open shot just outside the box. Her second chance was in the second half off the left side with a left foot shot that was barely saved by the goalie.

Miami responded three days later with a 2-0 shutout of their own against Maryland.

Alonzo recorded her fifteenth shutout of her career. She broke the record for most shutouts in a UM career and she is only a sophomore.

“It feels great,” Alonzo said with a smile. “I couldn’t have done it without my teammate always backing me up.”

It was a memorable afternoon also for head coach Tricia Taliaferro. She recorded her 100th victory as a head coach. The win was emotional for Taliaferro because she beat her alma mater.

“Any win feels good. You always have that piece of you that wants to beat your alumni,” said Taliaferro who was a four year starter at Maryland from 1992-1995.

The first goal came in the 26th minute off a corner taken by freshman Megan Siebert. Fellow freshman Jordan Roseboro tapped it in for a goal.

The second goal came in the 62nd minute when senior Beverly Goebel fed the ball to Steinbruch in the middle of the field. After avoiding one tackle and creating space outside the box she shot the ball into the far netting beyond the reach of the Terrapin keeper.

The Canes next meet No. 5 Florida State, their third straight ranked opponent, at 1:00 p.m. on Oct 4th in Tallahassee.

Debora Rubi may be contacted at drubi@themiamihurricane.com.

Debora Rubi

The University of Miami got off to a dream start, but could not hold on against No. 1 and defending ...

March is just around the corner; and University of Miami basketball coach Jim Larrañaga wants his pl ...

Erykah Davenport always hated being The Tall Girl. Every class picture, she was in the back row, tow ...

A little more than two years ago, Larry Scott was serving as the Miami Hurricanes’ interim head coac ...

The college basketball world woke up Friday morning to a bombshell report by Yahoo Sports detailing ...

Student a cappella group BisCaydence wins quarterfinals and advances to the next round in the intern ...

A closer look at the University of Miami's executive vice president for business and finance an ...

The popular Christian minister preached to more people than any other evangelist in history. ...

A vigil on the University of Miami campus, organized by UM students who graduated from Marjory Stone ...

The latest speaker in the popular lecture series at the Rosenstiel School, Jeff Goodell, shared insi ...

Lonnie Walker IV's three with 2.4 seconds left propelled Miami past BC at the Watsco Center. ...

The two-time defending ACC indoor champion Miami women could not make it a three-peat on Saturday, b ...

Kevin Arreaga's bronze medal in the men's weight throw led the Canes on Friday in Clemson. ...

No. 24 Miami got off to a dream start but could not hold on against No. 1 Florida Friday night, fall ...

The Hurricanes were momentarily slowed down by the first rain delay of the season, but held the Coug ...