Religious club hopes for coexistence

The solution to the Israeli-Palestinian conflict starts at the University of Miami for members of the emerging student organization JAM (Jews and Muslims).

JAM is an unofficial club–it has not been recognized by the Committee of Student Organizations–that was formed last year. While it is not a religious organization, it hopes to foster understanding between Jews and Muslims and coexistence for all human beings.

According to founding member Farah Dosani,  JAM was created to fill a gap.

“There was no coexistence program or organization on campus harboring the idea of living together in peace,” she said.

The club hosted a lecture Thursday night entitled “Bridging the Divide.”

The guest lecturers Kobi Skolnick, an Israeli-born Jew, and Aziz Abu Sarah, a Muslim born in Jerusalem, recounted their lives beginning with their childhoods that were rooted in radicalism and violence.

They then spoke of their transition to secularism and peace-making.

“When someone punches you in the face, you want to hit them back. It doesn’t mean if we don’t agree we need to be so quick to pull the trigger,” Sarah said.

By telling their stories, the two men, who now work together at the Institute for Conflict Analysis and Resolution at George Mason University, hope to foster understanding through conversation.

Nasser Al-Awadhi, a sophomore and member of the current affairs committee for JAM, agreed with the duo’s peaceful message.

“I think attempting to solve the conflict by force is just going to cause more problems,” he said.

Although JAM’s goals are ambitious for a 30-member organization, Sarah sees this as no reason for discouragement.

“If you want to put out a fire you fill a bucket with water. If you don’t have a bucket you grab a cup and if you don’t have a cup you grab a spoon,” Sarah said.

“This is the type of lecture that more people need to hear… After hearing this lecture you will want to do whatever you can to help spread peace both in the US and abroad,” Caitlin Liston, a senior, said.

Lindsay Perez

The college football season doesn't begin until the end of August, but that never stops media o ...

There were indications, even before Lonnie Walker IV was selected No. 18 by the San Antonio Spurs in ...

Add another player to the Miami Hurricanes' 2019 recruiting class. Defensive end Jahfari Harvey ...

From the onset, the Miami Hurricanes' plan was for the Carol Soffer football indoor practice fa ...

Gino DiMare on Tuesday stood in a spot that two men before him had crafted into a pinnacle of succes ...

At the University of Miami, employee recognition comes in many forms. ...

Community art project encourages the public to explore the vibrant downtown area of Coral Gables and ...

It appears that his third run for the presidency will be successful as he distances himself from the ...

Anna Runia won the women's 400m hurdles at the Netherlands track and field championships, while ...

The University of Miami volleyball program will host nine ACC home matches and the Sunshine State Ch ...

Walker picked 18th overall by San Antonio Spurs, Brown 42nd by Detroit Pistons. ...

Gino DiMare was introduced as the 10th head baseball coach in Canes' history. ...

The University of Miami women's golf team had three individuals selected to the 2018 Atlantic C ...