‘Bright Star’ stunning in simplicity

Bright Star, directed by Oscar nominee Jane Campion, is a deeply romantic, visually spectacular film that is stunning in its simplicity. Focusing on the little-known relationship between Romantic poet John Keats and Fanny Brawne, the love of his short life, Bright Star shines brighter than any other film this year.

The film could easily have been a dull episode of Masterpiece Theatre or an overwrought melodrama, but with Campion at the helm, the entire affair remains naturalistic and engrossing. The plot is akin to a Jane Austen novel, except for the tragic ending, as Keats’ premature death is the underlying current throughout the film.

Abbie Cornish’s beautifully understated performance as Fanny makes it clear to see how she served as the inspiration for Keats’ poetry. He, a penniless writer portrayed by Ben Whishaw, falls madly in love with his muse, and their love, though never consummated, is as passionate and visceral as any. Whishaw makes Keats’ poems sound dangerous and outrageously sexy. This is Regency-era love at its most vital and visceral. Both performances are full of vivacity and overwhelming elegance, and if there is any justice, this film will make Cornish a star.

Campion is a brilliant director, and she has managed to truly capture human idiosyncrasy. Exploring the illogical, irrational minds of two passionately in love young adults, she makes the passion and the sadness intensely palpable. Everything about Bright Star is stunning. Campion crafted a timeless romance that will engross and affect all those who watch it.

INFO BOX:

Rating: 4/4 stars

Starring: Abbie Cornish, Ben Whishaw

Directed By: Jane Campion

MPAA Rating: PG

Sarah B. Pilchick

Senior EDGE Writer

ONE COMMENT ON THIS POST To “‘Bright Star’ stunning in simplicity”

1. ashleyM says:

You should check out the film’s official site, where they just announced the Love Letter Contest. Submit a hand-made love letter or love tweet for a chance to win two unique diamonds. Follow Keat’s Tweets here: http://twitter.com/KeatsTweets

View photos from the Syracuse at Miami game Saturday, Oct. 21, 2017, at Hard Rock Stadium in Miami G ...

CANESFAN SATISFACTION METER: G6: Time again for the latest installment of the Canesfan Satisfaction ...

Syracuse student writer Matthew Gutierrez of The Daily Orange asked me to answer some of his questio ...

After this past University of Miami football game, coach Mark Richt said the crowd came alive during ...

Syracuse visits Miami on Saturday, October 21st at Hard Rock Stadium. ...

Behind a historic performance from senior Olga Strantzali, the University of Miami volleyball team b ...

The Miami women's tennis team opened play Friday at the ITA Southeast Regional Championships Pr ...