99 percent warned as part of ENN test

Subhead: 79,000 messages sent out as part of ENN test

Last Thursday, the University of Miami conducted its third annual, full-scale test of its Emergency Notification Network. Students received cell phone and e-mail alerts as part of this assessment.

This year, the test involved an undisclosed activation date and time intended to create a more realistic test.

According to the preliminary data from the UM Police Department, the test resulted in over 79,000 e-mails, text messages, and phone calls to all the members registered in the system.

Approximately 49 percent of the participants received at least one alert within the first 10 minutes, and 99 percent within the first 20 minutes.

“It’s the cellular technology that limits us from notifying everyone immediately,” Chief of Police David Rivero said. “But everyone should receive a notification within 15 to 20 minutes.”

He also said that in a real situation, the message will identify the type of emergency the university is experiencing and the actions the community needs to take to remain safe.

“I think every time you do these tests, you learn something new, particularly in light of recent events,” vice president for student affairs Patricia A. Whitely said. “People really have to pay attention to what the message says and make sure they follow it.”

Although there was a small amount of lag time between the actual ENN activation time, 12:15 p.m., and when some participants received their first alert, most students felt satisfied with the effectiveness of the system.

“It’s great because everyone checks their phones and texting is the fastest way to get to the greatest amount of people–everyone would know that there is an emergency,” junior Varsha Sinha said.

To ensure delivery of future ENN messages in case of a real emergency, register or update your contact information on myUM.

Heather Carney

The Hurricanes have become part of college football’s national conversation, and the more wins they ...

Kicker Michael Badgley will soon become the University of Miami’s all-time field goal leader. In the ...

University of Miami coach Mark Richt called Darrell Langham’s amazing, 28-yard catch on fourth-and-1 ...

Darrell Langham is 6-4, but might as well be 8-4 — that’s how much he has grown in stature for the M ...

The Miami Hurricanes have done it again. For the second week in a row, the Canes rallied to win in t ...

Hurricanes legends Michael Irvin, Ray Lewis, Ed Reed, Warren Sapp and Sean Taylor were officially ad ...

University of Miami wide receiver Darrell Langham and kicker Michael Badgley were among those recogn ...

University of Miami redshirt setter Haley Templeton was named ACC Player of the Week, the conference ...

Freshman Bojan Jankulovski highlighted Day 2 competition on Saturday for the University of Miami men ...

The University of Miami's football game at North Carolina on Oct. 28 will kick off at noon ET o ...