SigEp chapter wins national award

Hard work in and out of the classroom has earned the University of Miami’s Sigma Phi Epsilon chapter a Golden Buchanan Cup from its national fraternity.

The Buchanan Cup is an outstanding chapter award indicative of the highest level of undergraduate achievement in Sigma Phi Epsilon.

The “Buc Cup” is awarded to those chapters considered truly exceptional in all areas of operations including manpower, academics, member development, finances and volunteers.

The Golden Buchanan Cup is given to a SigEp chapter that has won a Buchanan Cup five times in a row.

“We are very honored to win this award, and we only hope to continue to thrive,” said Tyler Wilchek, president of UM’s Sigma Phi Epsilon chapter.

The brothers of Sigma Phi Epsilon have fed the homeless, landscaped lawns, painted a basketball court at Bay Point School in Miami, served on the executive board for Greek Week, and been chair and executive board members for Gandhi Day, the largest community service event at UM.

Three brothers are members of the President’s 100, a group that gives tours of the university, and five brothers are teaching assistants in the business school. Several alumni have been members of the Iron Arrow and in the last 10 years two student body presidents have come from SigEp.

“You’ll find SigEps in almost every aspect of campus,” said Matt Reed, a junior and SigEp member.

The Golden Buchanan Cup was awarded during Conclave, the national gathering of SigEps in Orlando in August. With over 250 chapters, SigEp is the largest undergraduate fraternity in the nation.

The UM chapter of the fraternity was created only 10 years ago.

“The biggest thing about this chapter is that they don’t seem to be in it for recognition,” said Tony Lake, associate dean of students. “They seem to just be doing their thing and when they are recognized; their achievements are well deserved.”

Rebecca Zimmer

Daniela Deu was drawn to both architecture and urbanism, believes architecture can change communitie ...

Check out the latest edition of Hurricane Magazine. ...

Members from the Miami track and field team spent the afternoon at the Boys and Girls Club in Miami ...

University of Miami diver Briadam Herrera collected a 1-meter national title at the Greensboro Aquat ...

Two Hurricanes receive AVCA All-America recognition for first time since 2014. ...

Coming off its first top-25 victory of the year, the Miami women's basketball team will play it ...