SigEp chapter wins national award

Hard work in and out of the classroom has earned the University of Miami’s Sigma Phi Epsilon chapter a Golden Buchanan Cup from its national fraternity.

The Buchanan Cup is an outstanding chapter award indicative of the highest level of undergraduate achievement in Sigma Phi Epsilon.

The “Buc Cup” is awarded to those chapters considered truly exceptional in all areas of operations including manpower, academics, member development, finances and volunteers.

The Golden Buchanan Cup is given to a SigEp chapter that has won a Buchanan Cup five times in a row.

“We are very honored to win this award, and we only hope to continue to thrive,” said Tyler Wilchek, president of UM’s Sigma Phi Epsilon chapter.

The brothers of Sigma Phi Epsilon have fed the homeless, landscaped lawns, painted a basketball court at Bay Point School in Miami, served on the executive board for Greek Week, and been chair and executive board members for Gandhi Day, the largest community service event at UM.

Three brothers are members of the President’s 100, a group that gives tours of the university, and five brothers are teaching assistants in the business school. Several alumni have been members of the Iron Arrow and in the last 10 years two student body presidents have come from SigEp.

“You’ll find SigEps in almost every aspect of campus,” said Matt Reed, a junior and SigEp member.

The Golden Buchanan Cup was awarded during Conclave, the national gathering of SigEps in Orlando in August. With over 250 chapters, SigEp is the largest undergraduate fraternity in the nation.

The UM chapter of the fraternity was created only 10 years ago.

“The biggest thing about this chapter is that they don’t seem to be in it for recognition,” said Tony Lake, associate dean of students. “They seem to just be doing their thing and when they are recognized; their achievements are well deserved.”

Rebecca Zimmer

The University of Miami got off to a dream start, but could not hold on against No. 1 and defending ...

Photo Gallery: UM v. Boston College | Feb. 24, 2018 … Click to Continue » ...

Lonnie Walker IV’s 3-pointer with 2.3 seconds remaining capped a 14-point comeback and lifted Miami ...

March is just around the corner; and University of Miami basketball coach Jim Larrañaga wants his pl ...

Erykah Davenport always hated being The Tall Girl. Every class picture, she was in the back row, tow ...

Student a cappella group BisCaydence wins quarterfinals and advances to the next round in the intern ...

A closer look at the University of Miami's executive vice president for business and finance an ...

The popular Christian minister preached to more people than any other evangelist in history. ...

A vigil on the University of Miami campus, organized by UM students who graduated from Marjory Stone ...

The latest speaker in the popular lecture series at the Rosenstiel School, Jeff Goodell, shared insi ...

Lonnie Walker IV's three with 2.4 seconds left propelled Miami past BC at the Watsco Center. ...

The two-time defending ACC indoor champion Miami women could not make it a three-peat on Saturday, b ...

Kevin Arreaga's bronze medal in the men's weight throw led the Canes on Friday in Clemson. ...

No. 24 Miami got off to a dream start but could not hold on against No. 1 Florida Friday night, fall ...

The Hurricanes were momentarily slowed down by the first rain delay of the season, but held the Coug ...