SigEp chapter wins national award

Hard work in and out of the classroom has earned the University of Miami’s Sigma Phi Epsilon chapter a Golden Buchanan Cup from its national fraternity.

The Buchanan Cup is an outstanding chapter award indicative of the highest level of undergraduate achievement in Sigma Phi Epsilon.

The “Buc Cup” is awarded to those chapters considered truly exceptional in all areas of operations including manpower, academics, member development, finances and volunteers.

The Golden Buchanan Cup is given to a SigEp chapter that has won a Buchanan Cup five times in a row.

“We are very honored to win this award, and we only hope to continue to thrive,” said Tyler Wilchek, president of UM’s Sigma Phi Epsilon chapter.

The brothers of Sigma Phi Epsilon have fed the homeless, landscaped lawns, painted a basketball court at Bay Point School in Miami, served on the executive board for Greek Week, and been chair and executive board members for Gandhi Day, the largest community service event at UM.

Three brothers are members of the President’s 100, a group that gives tours of the university, and five brothers are teaching assistants in the business school. Several alumni have been members of the Iron Arrow and in the last 10 years two student body presidents have come from SigEp.

“You’ll find SigEps in almost every aspect of campus,” said Matt Reed, a junior and SigEp member.

The Golden Buchanan Cup was awarded during Conclave, the national gathering of SigEps in Orlando in August. With over 250 chapters, SigEp is the largest undergraduate fraternity in the nation.

The UM chapter of the fraternity was created only 10 years ago.

“The biggest thing about this chapter is that they don’t seem to be in it for recognition,” said Tony Lake, associate dean of students. “They seem to just be doing their thing and when they are recognized; their achievements are well deserved.”

Rebecca Zimmer

The college football season doesn't begin until the end of August, but that never stops media o ...

There were indications, even before Lonnie Walker IV was selected No. 18 by the San Antonio Spurs in ...

Add another player to the Miami Hurricanes' 2019 recruiting class. Defensive end Jahfari Harvey ...

From the onset, the Miami Hurricanes' plan was for the Carol Soffer football indoor practice fa ...

Gino DiMare on Tuesday stood in a spot that two men before him had crafted into a pinnacle of succes ...

At the University of Miami, employee recognition comes in many forms. ...

Community art project encourages the public to explore the vibrant downtown area of Coral Gables and ...

It appears that his third run for the presidency will be successful as he distances himself from the ...

Anna Runia won the women's 400m hurdles at the Netherlands track and field championships, while ...

The University of Miami volleyball program will host nine ACC home matches and the Sunshine State Ch ...

Walker picked 18th overall by San Antonio Spurs, Brown 42nd by Detroit Pistons. ...

Gino DiMare was introduced as the 10th head baseball coach in Canes' history. ...

The University of Miami women's golf team had three individuals selected to the 2018 Atlantic C ...