Football

The U is back in the top 10

For the first time since December 2005, the University of Miami Hurricanes football team is ranked in the top 10. After shining in the national spotlight for the second time in as many games, the Hurricanes propelled themselves 11 spots in the rankings. The Associated Press poll tabbed the orange and green No. 9 in the nation.

Jacory Harris has established himself as a legitimate Heisman Trophy candidate as he has combined to throw 656 yards and five touchdowns against two top-20 teams.

“There’s a lot of people in the community that are praising us now and they are hyping us up,” Harris said. “But this team isn’t taking anything to the head. We are very humble. We understand we have other teams at hand we have to beat. In order to stay undefeated you have to win the next game.”

The swagger and tenacity is back and head coach Randy Shannon’s No. 1-ranked 2008 recruiting class has finally come to fruition. After the highly regarded freshmen got their feet wet last year, the sophomore studs are starring on the field, not just in the computer rankings.

The Canes came into the year unranked while facing a daunting first four games. Now, UM is ranked higher than its opponents. The Hurricanes face No. 11 Virginia Tech on Saturday in Blacksburg, Va., and the following week No. 10 Oklahoma who will most likely be without reigning Heisman Trophy winner Sam Bradford.

Justin Antweil may be contacted at jantweil@themiamihurricane.com.

Justin Antweil

When UM coach Mark Richt summoned quarterback Malik Rosier into his office last year, a few months a ...

Quarterback Malik Rosier of the No. 8-ranked Miami Hurricanes maintains a solid third place in what ...

University of Miami head coach Mark Richt was selected to the 20-member Paul "Bear" Bryant ...

University of Miami sophomore Bruce Brown Jr. was among 21 players named to the watch list for the 2 ...

Head coach Katie Meier and senior forward/center Erykah Davenport will represent Miami Thursday at t ...