Football

The U is back in the top 10

For the first time since December 2005, the University of Miami Hurricanes football team is ranked in the top 10. After shining in the national spotlight for the second time in as many games, the Hurricanes propelled themselves 11 spots in the rankings. The Associated Press poll tabbed the orange and green No. 9 in the nation.

Jacory Harris has established himself as a legitimate Heisman Trophy candidate as he has combined to throw 656 yards and five touchdowns against two top-20 teams.

“There’s a lot of people in the community that are praising us now and they are hyping us up,” Harris said. “But this team isn’t taking anything to the head. We are very humble. We understand we have other teams at hand we have to beat. In order to stay undefeated you have to win the next game.”

The swagger and tenacity is back and head coach Randy Shannon’s No. 1-ranked 2008 recruiting class has finally come to fruition. After the highly regarded freshmen got their feet wet last year, the sophomore studs are starring on the field, not just in the computer rankings.

The Canes came into the year unranked while facing a daunting first four games. Now, UM is ranked higher than its opponents. The Hurricanes face No. 11 Virginia Tech on Saturday in Blacksburg, Va., and the following week No. 10 Oklahoma who will most likely be without reigning Heisman Trophy winner Sam Bradford.

Justin Antweil may be contacted at jantweil@themiamihurricane.com.

Justin Antweil

From the onset, the Miami Hurricanes' plan was for the Carol Soffer football indoor practice fa ...

Gino DiMare on Tuesday stood in a spot that two men before him had crafted into a pinnacle of succes ...

The NBA Draft is on Thursday, and the buzz around the league is that the University of Miami’s Lonni ...

Former NFL and University of Miami star Kellen Winslow Jr. was arrested Thursday for numerous allege ...

Trevor Darling's perseverance paid off. After not being selected in the NFL Draft, the former U ...

Colder Atlantic temperatures could change hurricane season forecasts, but the trend isn't expec ...

UM neurorehabilitation expert David S. Kushner, M.D., who helps modern patients recover from brain s ...

NBA Draft will be held Thursday evening in Brooklyn. ...

First-year Miami head soccer coach Sarah Barnes released Wednesday the team's schedule for the ...

Gino DiMare was officially introduced as the 10th head baseball coach in program history Tuesday in ...

Jaquan Johnson was named to Athlon Sports' Preseason All-America First Team, while Shaq Quarter ...

An outstanding showing at the USATF Championships earned Symone Mason a trip to the World U20 Champi ...