Football

The U is back in the top 10

For the first time since December 2005, the University of Miami Hurricanes football team is ranked in the top 10. After shining in the national spotlight for the second time in as many games, the Hurricanes propelled themselves 11 spots in the rankings. The Associated Press poll tabbed the orange and green No. 9 in the nation.

Jacory Harris has established himself as a legitimate Heisman Trophy candidate as he has combined to throw 656 yards and five touchdowns against two top-20 teams.

“There’s a lot of people in the community that are praising us now and they are hyping us up,” Harris said. “But this team isn’t taking anything to the head. We are very humble. We understand we have other teams at hand we have to beat. In order to stay undefeated you have to win the next game.”

The swagger and tenacity is back and head coach Randy Shannon’s No. 1-ranked 2008 recruiting class has finally come to fruition. After the highly regarded freshmen got their feet wet last year, the sophomore studs are starring on the field, not just in the computer rankings.

The Canes came into the year unranked while facing a daunting first four games. Now, UM is ranked higher than its opponents. The Hurricanes face No. 11 Virginia Tech on Saturday in Blacksburg, Va., and the following week No. 10 Oklahoma who will most likely be without reigning Heisman Trophy winner Sam Bradford.

Justin Antweil may be contacted at jantweil@themiamihurricane.com.

Justin Antweil

The University of Miami got off to a dream start, but could not hold on against No. 1 and defending ...

Photo Gallery: UM v. Boston College | Feb. 24, 2018 … Click to Continue » ...

Lonnie Walker IV’s 3-pointer with 2.3 seconds remaining capped a 14-point comeback and lifted Miami ...

March is just around the corner; and University of Miami basketball coach Jim Larrañaga wants his pl ...

Erykah Davenport always hated being The Tall Girl. Every class picture, she was in the back row, tow ...

Student a cappella group BisCaydence wins quarterfinals and advances to the next round in the intern ...

A closer look at the University of Miami's executive vice president for business and finance an ...

The popular Christian minister preached to more people than any other evangelist in history. ...

A vigil on the University of Miami campus, organized by UM students who graduated from Marjory Stone ...

The latest speaker in the popular lecture series at the Rosenstiel School, Jeff Goodell, shared insi ...

Lonnie Walker IV's three with 2.4 seconds left propelled Miami past BC at the Watsco Center. ...

The two-time defending ACC indoor champion Miami women could not make it a three-peat on Saturday, b ...

Kevin Arreaga's bronze medal in the men's weight throw led the Canes on Friday in Clemson. ...

No. 24 Miami got off to a dream start but could not hold on against No. 1 Florida Friday night, fall ...

The Hurricanes were momentarily slowed down by the first rain delay of the season, but held the Coug ...