Football

The U is back in the top 10

For the first time since December 2005, the University of Miami Hurricanes football team is ranked in the top 10. After shining in the national spotlight for the second time in as many games, the Hurricanes propelled themselves 11 spots in the rankings. The Associated Press poll tabbed the orange and green No. 9 in the nation.

Jacory Harris has established himself as a legitimate Heisman Trophy candidate as he has combined to throw 656 yards and five touchdowns against two top-20 teams.

“There’s a lot of people in the community that are praising us now and they are hyping us up,” Harris said. “But this team isn’t taking anything to the head. We are very humble. We understand we have other teams at hand we have to beat. In order to stay undefeated you have to win the next game.”

The swagger and tenacity is back and head coach Randy Shannon’s No. 1-ranked 2008 recruiting class has finally come to fruition. After the highly regarded freshmen got their feet wet last year, the sophomore studs are starring on the field, not just in the computer rankings.

The Canes came into the year unranked while facing a daunting first four games. Now, UM is ranked higher than its opponents. The Hurricanes face No. 11 Virginia Tech on Saturday in Blacksburg, Va., and the following week No. 10 Oklahoma who will most likely be without reigning Heisman Trophy winner Sam Bradford.

Justin Antweil may be contacted at jantweil@themiamihurricane.com.

Justin Antweil

Michael Rumph, former Cane cornerback and current cornerbacks coach, has mentioned, along with every ...

N’Kosi Perry, definitely on the quiet side, met the media for the first time on Monday. He’s the Mia ...

On a day in which University of Miami football coach Mark Richt said veteran quarterbacks Malik Rosi ...

Week three of fall camp began today, and the first practice after Saturday’s first scrimmage of camp ...

Researchers use a powerful technique known as Interferometric Synthetic Aperture Radar to show an in ...

UM’s First Star Academy supports foster care youth. ...