The ‘Lonely Stoner’ shows he’s no kid in debut

Ever since Kid Cudi released the single “Day n’ Nite,” very few artists have created such a buzz. With his debut album Man On the Moon – The End of Day, Cudi proves he is much more than just hype.

On “Soundtrack to My Life,” Kudi sings about how he’s “got some issues that nobody can see, and all of these emotions are pouring out of me…this is the soundtrack to my life.” The album really is a soundtrack to his life: a deep, introspective story detailing Cudi’s inner struggles both in the present and as a child.

While most of the album is sad and gloomy, Cudi is at his best when he’s rapping/singing on uptempo songs (and yes, Cudi can actually sing). The infectious upbeat track “Enter Galactic (Love Connection, Pt. 1)” has Cudi singing about lust and will make listeners want to get up and dance.

Also, the album’s diverse production, ranging from Kanye West to electronic duo Ratatat, is stellar.

Whereas most hip-hop albums today feature a few good tracks sprinkled among mostly filler, Cudi provides an eclectic debut with a cohesive narrative. And in today’s individualistic society everyone has enough “lonely stoner” in them to relate to Cudi’s debut.

Rating: 3.5/4 Stars

Release Date:  Sept. 15

Label:  Dream On/G.O.O.D Music/Universal Motown

Production:  Kanye West (exec.), Kid Cudi, Plain Pat, and Emile Haynie (co-execs.), Sylvia Rhone (co-exec.), Patrick Reynolds, Free School, Jeff Bhasker, Dot Da Genius, Matt Friedman of ILLFONICS, Ratatat, Crada

Ben Wexler

Welcome to Bulletin Board Material, the Miami Herald’s weekday roundup covering everything in the So ...

RJ McIntosh grew up loving the University of Miami. So did Mark Walton. After all, both are from Sou ...

They have made their lists and checked them (at least) twice. And now, the final NFL draft boards fr ...

Remember Trent Harris, the Miami Hurricanes' sack leader everyone respected and raved about, th ...

The Hurricanes wrapped up spring with a big, as in 6-5 and 290 pounds, surprise on Saturday. Four-st ...

University of Miami graduates will hear from a group of extraordinary leaders during this year’s com ...

Cross-curricular performances by Frost School of Music students and faculty increase community aware ...

High-tech space helmet technology, a lifelike infant simulator and 3D printing are featured at the U ...

The Rosenstiel School of Marine and Atmospheric Science and NOAA have worked together for more than ...

The Energy and Conservation Organization was recognized with the 2018 Roberta “Bosey” Fulbright Foot ...

After a double-bye, the fourth-seeded and No. 15-ranked Miami women's tennis team begins ACC Ch ...

The Hurricanes will compete in the 54-hole Austin Regional at the University of Texas Golf Club from ...

The Hurricanes are headed to Fayetteville, Ark., to compete at the inaugural National Relay Champion ...

For the final time in his storied career, Miami head coach Jim Morris and his Hurricanes will make t ...

The Hurricanes fell behind in the middle innings and could not recover Wednesday, dropping a midweek ...