The ‘Lonely Stoner’ shows he’s no kid in debut

Ever since Kid Cudi released the single “Day n’ Nite,” very few artists have created such a buzz. With his debut album Man On the Moon – The End of Day, Cudi proves he is much more than just hype.

On “Soundtrack to My Life,” Kudi sings about how he’s “got some issues that nobody can see, and all of these emotions are pouring out of me…this is the soundtrack to my life.” The album really is a soundtrack to his life: a deep, introspective story detailing Cudi’s inner struggles both in the present and as a child.

While most of the album is sad and gloomy, Cudi is at his best when he’s rapping/singing on uptempo songs (and yes, Cudi can actually sing). The infectious upbeat track “Enter Galactic (Love Connection, Pt. 1)” has Cudi singing about lust and will make listeners want to get up and dance.

Also, the album’s diverse production, ranging from Kanye West to electronic duo Ratatat, is stellar.

Whereas most hip-hop albums today feature a few good tracks sprinkled among mostly filler, Cudi provides an eclectic debut with a cohesive narrative. And in today’s individualistic society everyone has enough “lonely stoner” in them to relate to Cudi’s debut.

Rating: 3.5/4 Stars

Release Date:  Sept. 15

Label:  Dream On/G.O.O.D Music/Universal Motown

Production:  Kanye West (exec.), Kid Cudi, Plain Pat, and Emile Haynie (co-execs.), Sylvia Rhone (co-exec.), Patrick Reynolds, Free School, Jeff Bhasker, Dot Da Genius, Matt Friedman of ILLFONICS, Ratatat, Crada

Ben Wexler

Four days had passed since his University of Miami basketball team squandered a 13-point second half ...

The Miami Hurricanes’ search for offensive line help is set to continue on the weekend of Jan. 26, w ...

It looks like Chad Thomas will have another opportunity to show NFL scouts that he is ready to play ...

Hurricanes fans, get out your pencils, calendars and a list of your favorite hotels. The Atlantic Co ...

Thirty high school English teachers from Brazil are spending six weeks at UM in a new skill-building ...

The Canes won four events against FGCU on Saturday while also recording a total of 11 top-three fini ...

The University of Miami men's tennis team (1-1) opened the spring portion of its 2017-18 schedu ...

The Miami women's basketball resumes play Sunday at 1 p.m., at Boston College with its northern ...

The University of Miami track and field team starred in the Lone Star State, as the Hurricanes shone ...

The Miami women's tennis team dominated play on its home court Friday to open the 2018 spring s ...