Sports Briefs

Women’s Tennis

The Hurricanes concluded day two of the Georgia Tech Invitational with three singles wins and two doubles wins at the Bill Moore Tennis Center in Atlanta, Ga., on Saturday. On day one, the sixth-ranked senior Laura Vallverdu defeated the second-ranked Chelsey Gullickson, helping the Hurricanes end with six singles wins and two doubles wins.

Men’s Tennis

On Saturday, senior David Simon defeated two separate opponents to improve to a 3-0 singles record as part of the University of Illinois’ Olympia Fields Country Club Fighting Illini Invitational.  Senior Hector Nieto split two games, making his record 2-1.

Women’s Soccer

On Friday, the Hurricanes (5-3-0) defeated the Ole Miss Rebels (5-2-0) Friday night at Cobb Stadium with a 2-0 score. Juniors Barbara Blocker and Brittney Macdonald scored the two goals of the night for Miami.  Sophomore keeper Vikki Alonzo tied the Hurricanes’ all-time career mark of 14 shutouts and made six saves throughout the night.

Cross Country

The men’s and women’s team traveled to Gainesville, Fla., to compete in the  Mountain Dew Invitational where both teams placed in impressive top-10 finishes.

Information compiled from hurricanesports.com

Ramon Galiana

News Editor

Part four of a five-part series on UM’s defense with the start of fall camp a month away: Cornerback ...

University of Miami head football coach Mark Richt was among the 20 coaches selected to the preseaso ...

Miami opens the Wooden Legacy against La Salle on Thanksgiving Day in Fullerton, Calif. ...