H1N1 flu rate rises at UM

While sitting in class on Sept. 8, Lolisa Wallace, a junior, received a text message. It wasn’t from any of her friends or family members; the sender was the University of Miami Health Center asking her to come in.

“At first I wasn’t even going to go in,” Wallace said. “I didn’t want to be put in quarantine.”

While Wallace was perfectly healthy, it was her suite mate who had a severe case of the flu. Within hours of determining the severity of her symptoms and asking her to socially isolate, the Health Center asked the other inhabitants of the suite to come in as well.

“They just basically said, ‘you guys just stay away from her and if you have any symptoms, just come in,’” Wallace said.

“No one has the official power to quarantine,” said Dr. Howard Anapol, director of student health services. “We’re asking students to socially isolate themselves.

From the beginning of the semester, the number of reported influenza-like illnesses on campus has gone up. These include any illness with symptoms that include fever, coughing and a sore throat.

The number of people who have come in to the Health Center with these symptoms went up from several daily cases to ten or more cases a day. Most of them end up being the common flu, but so far three out of the first 15 suspected of being H1N1 have been confirmed as such.

So far, the cases that have come in range from mild to moderate in severity and resolve themselves without any specific medical treatment, except those with underlying medical conditions.

While many illnesses usually target the elderly, the young or the already weakened, Anapol explained that influenza-like illnesses target people in the college age range. Older adults already have prior immunity to these illeness.

“Any social crowding will increase the likelihood of transmission,” Anapol said.

Anapol added that students should abide by the guidelines that have been set up by the university in order to protect themselves, their peers, and the community. This also includes getting the flu vaccine available for free to the UM community at the Health Center.

About Author

Lila Albizu Assistant News Editor

Just one glance at Brad Kaaya throwing passes Tuesday after the University of Miami’s first spring f ...

Senior guards Adrienne Motley and Jessica Thomas sat slumped over on the Watsco Center floor late Mo ...

Spring has sprung for the University of Miami football program. Practice, closed to the public, had ...

View photos of the first day of Miami Hurricanes spring football practice on Tues., March 22, 2017 … ...

News and views from the first day of UM football spring practice: • Found it interesting that when M ...

Sir James Galway, Distinguished Presidential Scholar, inspires flute students with his artistry and ...

Activist and community organizer Alicia Garza stresses the need for a richness of ideas to help solv ...

UM physicist studies the unexpected consequences of sub-second delays on fast-moving data systems ...

The world renown flautist joins the Frost School of Music ...

A fluid multi-platform exhibition examines the impacts of climate change through art, research, medi ...

At the Net with Jesse Flores ...

At the Net with... ...

Kristina Fisher of the Miami soccer team has been selected to participate in an upcoming U.S. U-23 W ...

Freshman Greg Veliz put together another strong midweek outing as the Hurricanes beat FAU 7-5. ...

Junior Piotr Lomacki represents the Canes in the ITA singles rankings, released Tuesday, at No. 73. ...