H1N1 flu rate rises at UM

While sitting in class on Sept. 8, Lolisa Wallace, a junior, received a text message. It wasn’t from any of her friends or family members; the sender was the University of Miami Health Center asking her to come in.

“At first I wasn’t even going to go in,” Wallace said. “I didn’t want to be put in quarantine.”

While Wallace was perfectly healthy, it was her suite mate who had a severe case of the flu. Within hours of determining the severity of her symptoms and asking her to socially isolate, the Health Center asked the other inhabitants of the suite to come in as well.

“They just basically said, ‘you guys just stay away from her and if you have any symptoms, just come in,’” Wallace said.

“No one has the official power to quarantine,” said Dr. Howard Anapol, director of student health services. “We’re asking students to socially isolate themselves.

From the beginning of the semester, the number of reported influenza-like illnesses on campus has gone up. These include any illness with symptoms that include fever, coughing and a sore throat.

The number of people who have come in to the Health Center with these symptoms went up from several daily cases to ten or more cases a day. Most of them end up being the common flu, but so far three out of the first 15 suspected of being H1N1 have been confirmed as such.

So far, the cases that have come in range from mild to moderate in severity and resolve themselves without any specific medical treatment, except those with underlying medical conditions.

While many illnesses usually target the elderly, the young or the already weakened, Anapol explained that influenza-like illnesses target people in the college age range. Older adults already have prior immunity to these illeness.

“Any social crowding will increase the likelihood of transmission,” Anapol said.

Anapol added that students should abide by the guidelines that have been set up by the university in order to protect themselves, their peers, and the community. This also includes getting the flu vaccine available for free to the UM community at the Health Center.

Lila Albizu

Assistant News Editor

Friday’s NFL drought became Saturday’s downpour for the University of Miami. Eight Miami Hurricanes ...

Cornerback Corn Elder’s career highlight is a play that will forever be ingrained in college footbal ...

Safety Rayshawn Jenkins is now a Los Angeles Charger. Jenkins, who grew up in St. Petersburg, became ...

The University of Miami celebrated on Thursday night with an NFL Draft first-round pick for the thir ...

When Al Golden recruited David Njoku to the University of Miami in 2014 the Cedar Grove, N.J. native ...

UM marks Holocaust Remembrance Day with a reading of names and recollections of a survivor. ...

A recent paper argues that not only have researchers just scratched the surface of analyzing the Ama ...

The period of the first 100 days in office is a telling gauge for a president's full term in th ...

UM students, staff and faculty join the worldwide march to end men’s violence against women. ...

Greek Week at the University of Miami is committed to raising money and awareness for United Cerebra ...

Have a look at approximately 60 of the best pictures from the Miami women's tennis team match v ...

The University of Miami football program had nine former players selected in the 2017 NFL Draft in P ...

Miami Hurricanes fullback Marquez Williams was selected with the 240th overall pick by the Jacksonvi ...

Miami Hurricanes cornerback Adrian Colbert was selected with the 229th overall pick by the San Franc ...

Miami Hurricanes wide receiver Stacy Coley was selected with the 219th overall pick by the Minnesota ...