Sign-up deadline for Gandhi Day approaches

At 9 a.m. on Saturday, Sept. 26, roughly 1,200 University of Miami students are expected to abandon their normal schedules – not for a football game or a day at South Beach, but to be a part of something bigger than themselves.

The National Gandhi Day of Service, sponsored by the Butler Center for Service and Leadership, is the single largest service day on campus. It contributes over 4,000 man hours to more than 40 different volunteer groups.

“It ranges from going to nursing homes, to beautification projects, to animal shelters,” said Gandhi Day co-chair Billy Fuchsman. “We didn’t want to focus on only one aspect of charity because Gandhi’s message was to be the change you wish to see in the world, and we want to see a lot of change.”

Fellow co-chair Rachel Libby, who has also volunteered for past Gandhi Days, has seen the event’s effect on students firsthand.

“The scope of the day is so cool,” Libby said. “You have 1,200 college students all going out to a community that has always supported us and really give back to them.”

Those wishing to volunteer must sign up at www.miami.edu/gandhiday before Sept. 18, although some walk-ins will be allowed. All additional information for the event can be found at their Web site or by contacting them at umgandhiday@gmail.com.

Austen Gregerson

Staff Columnist

Lester Williams wasn’t on the field playing for the Miami Hurricanes when they won their first natio ...

An extremely frustrated University of Miami football coach Mark Richt began his media availability b ...