Sign-up deadline for Gandhi Day approaches

At 9 a.m. on Saturday, Sept. 26, roughly 1,200 University of Miami students are expected to abandon their normal schedules – not for a football game or a day at South Beach, but to be a part of something bigger than themselves.

The National Gandhi Day of Service, sponsored by the Butler Center for Service and Leadership, is the single largest service day on campus. It contributes over 4,000 man hours to more than 40 different volunteer groups.

“It ranges from going to nursing homes, to beautification projects, to animal shelters,” said Gandhi Day co-chair Billy Fuchsman. “We didn’t want to focus on only one aspect of charity because Gandhi’s message was to be the change you wish to see in the world, and we want to see a lot of change.”

Fellow co-chair Rachel Libby, who has also volunteered for past Gandhi Days, has seen the event’s effect on students firsthand.

“The scope of the day is so cool,” Libby said. “You have 1,200 college students all going out to a community that has always supported us and really give back to them.”

Those wishing to volunteer must sign up at www.miami.edu/gandhiday before Sept. 18, although some walk-ins will be allowed. All additional information for the event can be found at their Web site or by contacting them at umgandhiday@gmail.com.

Austen Gregerson

Staff Columnist

From the onset, the Miami Hurricanes' plan was for the Carol Soffer football indoor practice fa ...

Gino DiMare on Tuesday stood in a spot that two men before him had crafted into a pinnacle of succes ...

The NBA Draft is on Thursday, and the buzz around the league is that the University of Miami’s Lonni ...

Former NFL and University of Miami star Kellen Winslow Jr. was arrested Thursday for numerous allege ...

Trevor Darling's perseverance paid off. After not being selected in the NFL Draft, the former U ...

Colder Atlantic temperatures could change hurricane season forecasts, but the trend isn't expec ...

UM neurorehabilitation expert David S. Kushner, M.D., who helps modern patients recover from brain s ...

NBA Draft will be held Thursday evening in Brooklyn. ...

First-year Miami head soccer coach Sarah Barnes released Wednesday the team's schedule for the ...

Gino DiMare was officially introduced as the 10th head baseball coach in program history Tuesday in ...

Jaquan Johnson was named to Athlon Sports' Preseason All-America First Team, while Shaq Quarter ...

An outstanding showing at the USATF Championships earned Symone Mason a trip to the World U20 Champi ...