Letter to the Editor: Canes aren’t classy

The writer of last week’s “Stay Classy, Miami” has no idea what it means to be a Hurricane football fan. I hate FSU as much as the next psycho-passionate, borderline deranged ‘Cane, but you can’t slam them for using our “U” in a derogatory word, or flying “thUg” signs.

Calling us thugs is about as offensive as telling me I have very pleasant breath. That’s who we are. We love it. The thug mentality put us on the map, so unless you’d like to return those pretty glass footballs, embrace it.

And yes, as the writer of the staff editorial commented, FSU fans held signs saying “Muck Fiami,” but how many times have you berated some midwestern, linebacker-loving yokel as a Bucking F***eye? And let’s not forget the Hurricane’s loving homage to FSU’s war chant. So stop being such a hypocrite. Hate swings both ways. As Kellen Winslow II said, “This is war… I’m a f***ing soldier.” So as much as it pains me to defend FSU, I must tell you whiners to grow up because this is war.

I was glad to see J12 bring back the swagger that I love. When Doak Campbell Stadium was melting down, with Miami fans celebrating and FSU fans clawing their eyes out, our leader stood ice-cold on the sidelines, blank-faced, as if to say, “…yeah, so?”

Now I’ve heard some wannabe fans talking about, “If we beat OU, everybody should charge the field.” Two problems here: there is no “if”; and no true Miami fan will rush the field. That kind of thing is for second-rate teams, which Miami hasn’t been in over three decades. So while the rest of the country is gaping at the tube, scratching their heads and saying to themselves, “How did that happen?” true Canes will be standing in the bleachers at Landshark Stadium with their arms folded, saying, with a slight shrug, “…yeah, so?”

Oh, and another thing, Mr. Staff Writer, when it comes to game day, we ain’t got no class.

-Thomas Gibbons, Sophomore

Hurricane Reader

Letter to the Editor

ONE COMMENT ON THIS POST To “Letter to the Editor: Canes aren’t classy”

1. Aimée Beckwith says:

Couldn’t agree more. Well put!

University of Miami legendary receiver Michael Irvin is no doubt relieved, as likely is UM football ...

Sexual assault charges will not be filed against former University of Miami football and Dallas Cowb ...

View photos of teenage recruits being taught by UM legends at Paradise Camp Saturday, July 22, 2017. ...

Mark Richt’s weekend began with a bunch of ninth- and 10th-grade recruits on Friday at a University ...

The name conjures images of tranquil waters, lush palm trees and cool breezes. The faces conjure ima ...

Looking back on 15 years of the University of Miami Business Plan Competition, hosted by the School ...

Read the latest entries from UM students who are spending part or all of their summer visiting diffe ...

Value in the Era of Analytics ...

Summer Creative Writing Camp Inspires Young Writers to Release Their Emotions Onto the Page. ...

Gomez, an expert on human values and attitudes in post-Castro Cuba, will serve as interim director o ...