Letter to the Editor: Canes aren’t classy

The writer of last week’s “Stay Classy, Miami” has no idea what it means to be a Hurricane football fan. I hate FSU as much as the next psycho-passionate, borderline deranged ‘Cane, but you can’t slam them for using our “U” in a derogatory word, or flying “thUg” signs.

Calling us thugs is about as offensive as telling me I have very pleasant breath. That’s who we are. We love it. The thug mentality put us on the map, so unless you’d like to return those pretty glass footballs, embrace it.

And yes, as the writer of the staff editorial commented, FSU fans held signs saying “Muck Fiami,” but how many times have you berated some midwestern, linebacker-loving yokel as a Bucking F***eye? And let’s not forget the Hurricane’s loving homage to FSU’s war chant. So stop being such a hypocrite. Hate swings both ways. As Kellen Winslow II said, “This is war… I’m a f***ing soldier.” So as much as it pains me to defend FSU, I must tell you whiners to grow up because this is war.

I was glad to see J12 bring back the swagger that I love. When Doak Campbell Stadium was melting down, with Miami fans celebrating and FSU fans clawing their eyes out, our leader stood ice-cold on the sidelines, blank-faced, as if to say, “…yeah, so?”

Now I’ve heard some wannabe fans talking about, “If we beat OU, everybody should charge the field.” Two problems here: there is no “if”; and no true Miami fan will rush the field. That kind of thing is for second-rate teams, which Miami hasn’t been in over three decades. So while the rest of the country is gaping at the tube, scratching their heads and saying to themselves, “How did that happen?” true Canes will be standing in the bleachers at Landshark Stadium with their arms folded, saying, with a slight shrug, “…yeah, so?”

Oh, and another thing, Mr. Staff Writer, when it comes to game day, we ain’t got no class.

-Thomas Gibbons, Sophomore

Hurricane Reader

Letter to the Editor

There were indications, even before Lonnie Walker IV was selected No. 18 by the San Antonio Spurs in ...

Add another player to the Miami Hurricanes' 2019 recruiting class. Defensive end Jahfari Harvey ...

From the onset, the Miami Hurricanes' plan was for the Carol Soffer football indoor practice fa ...

Gino DiMare on Tuesday stood in a spot that two men before him had crafted into a pinnacle of succes ...

The NBA Draft is on Thursday, and the buzz around the league is that the University of Miami’s Lonni ...

Colder Atlantic temperatures could change hurricane season forecasts, but the trend isn't expec ...

UM neurorehabilitation expert David S. Kushner, M.D., who helps modern patients recover from brain s ...

The University of Miami women's golf team had three individuals selected to the 2018 Atlantic C ...

NBA Draft will be held Thursday evening in Brooklyn. ...

Haley Templeton is set to travel to Detroit, Mich., on Friday to train and compete with the U.S. Wom ...

First-year Miami head soccer coach Sarah Barnes released Wednesday the team's schedule for the ...

Gino DiMare was officially introduced as the 10th head baseball coach in program history Tuesday in ...