Emergency Notification Network to be tested

Be prepared to receive numerous test alerts at some point throughout the week of Sept. 21.

The University of Miami is conducting a more ambitious full-scale test of its Emergency Notification Network (ENN) that involves an undisclosed exact activation date and time between Monday, Sept. 21 and Friday, Sept. 25.

“The theory behind emergency notification is that by immediately informing the university community of a serious present threat and how to respond to it, community members will be able to better protect themselves,” John Pepper, UM police officer, said.

The university implemented the ENN in 2007 in response to tragic events at several colleges and high schools and in the case of an emergency.

It allows the university to quickly disseminate an urgent message through multiple communication mediums including voice messages, text messages, e-mail and outdoor emergency notification sirens.

Since the first test in Oct. 2007, most students feel the system has improved and the alerts are an effective means of communicating with the student population during an emergency.

“I think it’s a great system. At first I thought it was annoying but then I had a friend that went to Virginia Tech and after hearing her story, she said that the emergency alert system was key at her school in keeping people safe,” Andrea Shank, a senior, said.

In addition, the ENN system is crucial at UM for hurricane notification and preparedness.

Although some students commented last year that they found the siren sounds on campus to be ineffective because they are activated so frequently anyway due to storms.

“I feel like if the sirens go off to alert us of an emergency, I would just ignore them because they go off for every little thunderstorm anyways,” Priscilla Razak, a sophomore, said.

Despite a few faults, the system does an effective job of notifying the students and faculty of an emergency.

Last year, approximately 98% of the participants received at least one alert within the first 15 minutes and this year, the university hopes to continue to improve upon that by sending the messages at a faster rate.

“I’m very content overall with the whole system…and I definitely think getting the text message is the best way because in an emergency, my phone is the quickest thing I have access to,” Shank said.

To sign up to be notified by ENN, log in to myUM. ENN messages will be sent to everyone who has registered personal contact information on myUM.

Heather Carney

The University of Miami got off to a dream start, but could not hold on against No. 1 and defending ...

Photo Gallery: UM v. Boston College | Feb. 24, 2018 … Click to Continue » ...

Lonnie Walker IV’s 3-pointer with 2.3 seconds remaining capped a 14-point comeback and lifted Miami ...

March is just around the corner; and University of Miami basketball coach Jim Larrañaga wants his pl ...

Erykah Davenport always hated being The Tall Girl. Every class picture, she was in the back row, tow ...

Student a cappella group BisCaydence wins quarterfinals and advances to the next round in the intern ...

A closer look at the University of Miami's executive vice president for business and finance an ...

The popular Christian minister preached to more people than any other evangelist in history. ...

A vigil on the University of Miami campus, organized by UM students who graduated from Marjory Stone ...

The latest speaker in the popular lecture series at the Rosenstiel School, Jeff Goodell, shared insi ...

Sophomore Evan McKendry rebounded with a dazzling start, and No. 24 Miami handed No. 1 Florida its f ...

Lonnie Walker IV's three with 2.4 seconds left propelled Miami past BC at the Watsco Center. ...

No. 24 Miami dropped the second game of a rivalry series with No. 1 Florida Saturday night, falling ...

The Miami women's tennis team got back to its winning ways Saturday afternoon, defeating Georgi ...

The two-time defending ACC indoor champion Miami women could not make it a three-peat on Saturday, b ...