Raekwon channels Wu-Tang in latest release

Fourteen years after the release of the original, the sequel to Only Built 4 Cuban Linx was finally released. The album, which started production in 2005, suffered many delays.

Fortunately, this left Wu-Tang Clan member Raekwon with an abundance of songs. With a total of 22 tracks, the album runs for one long hour and 17 minutes. One of the remarkable successes of the album is that despite its length, it leaves listeners wanting more from the Wu-Tang Clan.

Vol. 2 features appearances from almost every member of the Wu-Tang Clan. Most prominent among these is Ghostface Killah, who delivers a spectacular performance on a whopping eight songs. On the production side, the album excels with brilliant beats from J Dilla, RZA, Pete Rock, Marley Marl, and Dr. Dre.

The immediate standout track is the pounding posse cut “House of Flying Draggers (featuring Inspectah Deck, GZA, Ghostface Killah & Method Man.)” On “The New Wu (featuring Ghostface Killah and Method Man),” Method Man delivers a catchy chorus of “Tell your friends it’s that symbol again/ that ‘W’/ coming through… back from the slums it be the Wu/ now through your ‘W’s up”.

Although not as great as the original, Vol. 2’s gritty lyrics and haunting beats are refreshing in an era of pop-rap and auto-tune.

3.5 /4 stars

Release Date: 9/8/09

Label: Ice H20

Executive Producer: RZA

Thomas Prieto

Contributing Columnist

Former pro wrestler and promoter The Tennessee Stud Ron Fuller was interviewed by Ryan K. Boman of T ...

The University of Miami has its future quarterback. Jarren Williams, a consensus four-star, dual-thr ...

Through its new Leadership UMiami program, the Butler Center for Service and Leadership is empowerin ...

A Biomedical Engineering Major and campus leader, Sterile Achille involved herself in many activitie ...

University of Miami head volleyball coach Jose "Keno" Gandara is excited to announce a fou ...

University of Miami women's volleyball player Brooke McDermott is an active member in the Hurri ...