Raekwon channels Wu-Tang in latest release

Fourteen years after the release of the original, the sequel to Only Built 4 Cuban Linx was finally released. The album, which started production in 2005, suffered many delays.

Fortunately, this left Wu-Tang Clan member Raekwon with an abundance of songs. With a total of 22 tracks, the album runs for one long hour and 17 minutes. One of the remarkable successes of the album is that despite its length, it leaves listeners wanting more from the Wu-Tang Clan.

Vol. 2 features appearances from almost every member of the Wu-Tang Clan. Most prominent among these is Ghostface Killah, who delivers a spectacular performance on a whopping eight songs. On the production side, the album excels with brilliant beats from J Dilla, RZA, Pete Rock, Marley Marl, and Dr. Dre.

The immediate standout track is the pounding posse cut “House of Flying Draggers (featuring Inspectah Deck, GZA, Ghostface Killah & Method Man.)” On “The New Wu (featuring Ghostface Killah and Method Man),” Method Man delivers a catchy chorus of “Tell your friends it’s that symbol again/ that ‘W’/ coming through… back from the slums it be the Wu/ now through your ‘W’s up”.

Although not as great as the original, Vol. 2’s gritty lyrics and haunting beats are refreshing in an era of pop-rap and auto-tune.

3.5 /4 stars

Release Date: 9/8/09

Label: Ice H20

Executive Producer: RZA

Thomas Prieto

Contributing Columnist

Michael Rumph, former Cane cornerback and current cornerbacks coach, has mentioned, along with every ...

N’Kosi Perry, definitely on the quiet side, met the media for the first time on Monday. He’s the Mia ...

On a day in which University of Miami football coach Mark Richt said veteran quarterbacks Malik Rosi ...

Week three of fall camp began today, and the first practice after Saturday’s first scrimmage of camp ...

Researchers use a powerful technique known as Interferometric Synthetic Aperture Radar to show an in ...

UM’s First Star Academy supports foster care youth. ...