Raekwon channels Wu-Tang in latest release

Fourteen years after the release of the original, the sequel to Only Built 4 Cuban Linx was finally released. The album, which started production in 2005, suffered many delays.

Fortunately, this left Wu-Tang Clan member Raekwon with an abundance of songs. With a total of 22 tracks, the album runs for one long hour and 17 minutes. One of the remarkable successes of the album is that despite its length, it leaves listeners wanting more from the Wu-Tang Clan.

Vol. 2 features appearances from almost every member of the Wu-Tang Clan. Most prominent among these is Ghostface Killah, who delivers a spectacular performance on a whopping eight songs. On the production side, the album excels with brilliant beats from J Dilla, RZA, Pete Rock, Marley Marl, and Dr. Dre.

The immediate standout track is the pounding posse cut “House of Flying Draggers (featuring Inspectah Deck, GZA, Ghostface Killah & Method Man.)” On “The New Wu (featuring Ghostface Killah and Method Man),” Method Man delivers a catchy chorus of “Tell your friends it’s that symbol again/ that ‘W’/ coming through… back from the slums it be the Wu/ now through your ‘W’s up”.

Although not as great as the original, Vol. 2’s gritty lyrics and haunting beats are refreshing in an era of pop-rap and auto-tune.

3.5 /4 stars

Release Date: 9/8/09

Label: Ice H20

Executive Producer: RZA

Thomas Prieto

Contributing Columnist

Dewan Huell will be wearing green and orange for at least another year. Huell announced Saturday on ...

Their bats and gloves and baseball skills weren't enough Thursday night. Now, the Miami Hurrica ...

Florida State's recruiting trail hit Georgia last week, and while the #Tribe19 class is a focal ...

It's almost summer, time for college football players to wind down and chill out — every now an ...

Alumna and faculty member shares lessons and learning about racial identity in free parent community ...

Voters head to the polls in a historic election to choose the country’s next president. ...

From boathouse to marine research powerhouse, the Rosenstiel School of Marine and Atmospheric Scienc ...

The Canes wrapped up a stormy weekend at the NCAA East Preliminary with their final two qualifiers f ...

Miami native pulls name out of NBA Draft process. ...

Stormy weather in the Gulf of Mexico may have delayed Friday's competition, but wind and rain c ...

Last season, Miami Hurricanes fans created, quite simply, one of the best home-field advantages in c ...

University of Miami senior Christian Langmo and freshman Adria Soriano were edged by Florida's ...