Bringing some spice to Miami

A tantalizing dish; one of the many offered at this year's Miami Spice. Miami Spice is a month long event offering a selection of new or special dishes at special prices from over 100 restaurants.

Foodies rejoice. The Greater Miami Convention & Visitors Bureau, along with an extensive list of local restaurants, will satisfy the need to indulge in decadent cuisine laced with ‘Miami Spice.’

The Eighth Annual Miami Spice Restaurant Month, a delicious promotion which runs through September 30, allows diners to enjoy a three-course meal at some of Miami’s top restaurants. Participating restaurants provide diners with a limited Miami Spice lunch or dinner menu which offers a variety of choices for each course (appetizer, entrée and dessert). Per person, this special dining experience costs $22 for lunch and $35 for dinner with a total savings of 30-50 percent off the regular price.

Representing all of the unique cuisines found in the south Florida, the Miami Spice restaurant list features an impressive 115 restaurants located in a variety of neighborhoods.

Spanish exchange student Cecilia Calatrava thinks Miami Spice is a great idea.

“I think it’s a good thing. I would probably go, especially because they are usually expensive, for like a special occasion,” Calatrava said.

Sophomore JJ Jenangir was not as enthused about the promotion.

“As a student, I think it’s way too much for lunch or dinner. I’m not one to go out much but otherwise it’s great for the CEOs and stuff who want a cheap meal,” Jenangir said.

Owner Jan Jorgensen of the European eatery Two Chefs Restaurant in Pinecrest was happy to join in on the promotion.

“Of course it comes with a fee, which I think is okay, but it also tells people that a certain amount of restaurants in town, which are usually what I call anniversary and birthday places, definitely cater to a different way of eating,” Jorgensen said. “All of us serve food that is affordable and it opens up the restaurant to a whole new set of people who usually wouldn’t come visit us.”

Two Chefs Restaurant is serving up Lump Crab Nachos with Idaho Potato Chips, New York Strip Steak Croquettes and a Grand Marnier Soufflé as just one set of options on their Miami Spice dinner menu.

Other restaurants on the list cater to a variety of people; for those who likes the celebrity treatment, Emeril’s Miami Beach, and for the person who enjoys breathtaking views, Area 31 on the 16th floor of the Epic Hotel.

No matter your delight, there are restaurants, a menu and a plethora of mouthwatering dishes from which to choose that will have you enjoying everything with a little ‘Miami Spice.’

For more information on Miami Spice Restaurant Month visit www.ilovemiamispice.com.

Info Box:

Ten Miami Spice Recommendations:

1. Area 31

2. B.E.D.

3. China Grill SOBE

4. Emeril’s Miami Beach

5. Grass Restaurant & Lounge

6. Novecento

7. Red Koi Thai & Sushi Lounge

8. Smith and Wollensky

9. Sra. Martinez

10. Two Chefs Restaurant