Freshmen should have cars second semester

After surviving freshman year, a full year without being allowed to have a vehicle on campus, I have become extremely disappointed with the administration’s decision to implement a freshmen no-car rule.

At first, the university’s policy did not seem to faze me because I knew that the entire freshman class would be in the same boat. I had my mind on other things – making new friends, gaining a sense of freedom, and wondering what living on campus would be like.

After two months, I realized that not having a vehicle on campus presented numerous problems for me. As a Florida resident who lives only four-and-a-half hours away, it became difficult for me to take public transportation. Riding the train or bus instantly added an extra two hours onto my trip. Another option was to take an overpriced 30-minute flight back home to Tampa – no thanks.

Miami is a great city, but without a car, I found myself stuck eating at the same few restaurants and frequently going to the same places around campus. Dining Dollars and Cane Express became my prized possession when I wasn’t in the mood for the one and only delectable Chartwells.

If the shuttles weren’t available at my convenience, I would end up walking to Sunset Place in the heat. It’s times like these when I mumbled to myself, “If only I had my car…”

For these reasons, not having a car can make a freshmen feel isolated from the city of Miami. If I had the power to change this policy, I would allow the freshmen to have their cars during only the second semester.

In my opinion, I do not think a freshman should have one during the whole school year, so they will adjust to their community. This idea is reasonable because it still allows students to spend more time on campus, which will help them adjust and most likely force them to meet new people.

In order to grow and learn, students should not only be familiar with the community within their college, but the city they are living in as well.

Kyli Singh

Managing Editor

2 COMMENTS ON THIS POST To “Freshmen should have cars second semester”

1. Julian says:

Honestly? I don’t think GreenU should have anything to do with it. This has nothing to do with the GreenU policy, and if it did, all cars on campus would be banned, which would be ridiculous.

However, that being said, I do think that it is a reasonable policy, having gone through the University, and being an alum. There’s no reason that a freshman needs a car on campus, and being from miami, I know the difficulties of getting around without one. That being said, it was a reasonable policy intended for traffic relief. VERY few colleges of our size allow cars for freshman, a well-accepted policy nationwide. Some other colleges utilize lottery systems for parking spaces beyond the freshman level, so you should be grateful we can park at all.

Sure, Parking and Trans has a lot of work to do on building new lots, and keeping our old ones in shape, stopping those double parkers, etc., but freshman cars on campus? I think not.

2. Chris says:

I understand where you’re coming from, but I don’t think you understand the purpose of the no-car rule for freshmen. It’s not about closing them off from the rest of the city (freshmen can get anywhere they need to go via public transportation, anyway), it’s about having a greener U and minimizing automobile traffic. At this time, freshmen don’t really need cars, and getting rid of the no-car rule would be highly impractical. Not only would it go against our current GreenU policy, it would further hamper the ability for current drivers to park on campus. I think that almost everyone that drives would agree with me when I say that there aren’t enough parking spaces for non-freshmen to begin with.

Daniela Deu was drawn to both architecture and urbanism, believes architecture can change communitie ...

Canes Basketball player development assistant will graduate with MSED in Sport Administation. ...

UOnline graduate will earn his M.S. in Health Informatics ...

Seeking a college experience within a diverse community, this graduate found her home away from home ...