Freshmen should have cars second semester

After surviving freshman year, a full year without being allowed to have a vehicle on campus, I have become extremely disappointed with the administration’s decision to implement a freshmen no-car rule.

At first, the university’s policy did not seem to faze me because I knew that the entire freshman class would be in the same boat. I had my mind on other things – making new friends, gaining a sense of freedom, and wondering what living on campus would be like.

After two months, I realized that not having a vehicle on campus presented numerous problems for me. As a Florida resident who lives only four-and-a-half hours away, it became difficult for me to take public transportation. Riding the train or bus instantly added an extra two hours onto my trip. Another option was to take an overpriced 30-minute flight back home to Tampa – no thanks.

Miami is a great city, but without a car, I found myself stuck eating at the same few restaurants and frequently going to the same places around campus. Dining Dollars and Cane Express became my prized possession when I wasn’t in the mood for the one and only delectable Chartwells.

If the shuttles weren’t available at my convenience, I would end up walking to Sunset Place in the heat. It’s times like these when I mumbled to myself, “If only I had my car…”

For these reasons, not having a car can make a freshmen feel isolated from the city of Miami. If I had the power to change this policy, I would allow the freshmen to have their cars during only the second semester.

In my opinion, I do not think a freshman should have one during the whole school year, so they will adjust to their community. This idea is reasonable because it still allows students to spend more time on campus, which will help them adjust and most likely force them to meet new people.

In order to grow and learn, students should not only be familiar with the community within their college, but the city they are living in as well.

Kyli Singh

Managing Editor

The college football season doesn't begin until the end of August, but that never stops media o ...

There were indications, even before Lonnie Walker IV was selected No. 18 by the San Antonio Spurs in ...

Add another player to the Miami Hurricanes' 2019 recruiting class. Defensive end Jahfari Harvey ...

From the onset, the Miami Hurricanes' plan was for the Carol Soffer football indoor practice fa ...

Gino DiMare on Tuesday stood in a spot that two men before him had crafted into a pinnacle of succes ...

At the University of Miami, employee recognition comes in many forms. ...

Community art project encourages the public to explore the vibrant downtown area of Coral Gables and ...

It appears that his third run for the presidency will be successful as he distances himself from the ...

Anna Runia won the women's 400m hurdles at the Netherlands track and field championships, while ...

The University of Miami volleyball program will host nine ACC home matches and the Sunshine State Ch ...

Walker picked 18th overall by San Antonio Spurs, Brown 42nd by Detroit Pistons. ...

Gino DiMare was introduced as the 10th head baseball coach in Canes' history. ...

The University of Miami women's golf team had three individuals selected to the 2018 Atlantic C ...