Common with special guests The Wailers to appear at Homecoming

CommonDidn’t think that the idea of Homecoming could get any better? On November 6, Hurricane Productions presents the 2009 Homecoming Concert featuring Common with special guests The Wailers. This concert, featuring hip-hop’s Common and Bob Marley’s The Wailers, will be held at 9:30 p.m. on the University Green in front of Richter Library.

Common, an American rapper and actor, emerged into the hip-hop scene in the early 90s, with his first album Can I Borrow a Dollar? in 1992. Since then, Common has released seven albums, the most recent being Universal Mind Control, released in December 2008.

“I strive to do multiple things. I want to first make music that people can love, enjoy, and be inspired by, and hopefully they can better their lives, open their hearts, and be better people,” said Common in an exclusive interview with The Miami Hurricane.

While many of his peers were writing about stereotypical subject matter for hip-hop music, Common was set aside by his keen perceptions on politics, his sharp wit and rhyming skills, and his ability to poetically capture the daily hardships of the average person.

Supporting act The Wailers formed in 1969, and with Bob Marley, have sold 250 million albums worldwide and had 20 hits on the charts, 10 of which were in the Top 10.

“The University is extremely fortunate to have two legends join us for our homecoming festivities. This is going to be an incredible show that no one will want to miss,” said Max Winik, the Large Venue Concert Chair for Hurricane Productions.  Past headliners have included N.E.R.D, Talib Kweli, Robert Randolph and the Family Band, and The Roots.

“That’s a big spectrum of talent, so to be included on that list, I mean, that’s big!” Common said.

The hip hop artist is pumped to play at UM. “I love the city; it’s great down there! I’m looking forward to Miami. That’s a great list to be a part of,” he said.

Carey Goldenberg may be contacted at cgoldenberg@themiamihurricane.com

If you go:

What: 2009 Homecoming Concert

Who: Common with special guests The Wailers

When: November 6, 9:30p.m.

Where: University Green in front of Richter Library

Cost: FREE for UM students!

Carey Goldenberg

Senior EDGE Writer

ONE COMMENT ON THIS POST To “Common with special guests The Wailers to appear at Homecoming”

Darrell Langham, the redshirt junior receiver who caused an uproar among Miami Hurricanes fans the p ...

This news release just in from the University of Miami, another impressive class about to be inducte ...

The University of Miami men’s basketball team got a welcome dose of good news on Monday night. Verno ...

After a disheartening week of practice injury-wise following the University of Miami’s victory at Fl ...

University of Miami’s highly-touted freshman Lonnie Walker, who had surgery for a torn right meniscu ...

Darrell Langham has been a hero twice this season, but his path to prominence has been a long one. ...

The University of Miami Sports Hall of Fame has announced the Class of 2018 inductees for the 50th A ...

Senior diver Wally Layland was recognized for her standout performance at the SMU Classic with ACC C ...

University of Miami freshman Lonnie Walker IV was among 20 players named to the watch list for the 2 ...

The Miami Hurricanes will begin preparation for the 2018 season when fall practice commences Wed., O ...