Common with special guests The Wailers to appear at Homecoming

CommonDidn’t think that the idea of Homecoming could get any better? On November 6, Hurricane Productions presents the 2009 Homecoming Concert featuring Common with special guests The Wailers. This concert, featuring hip-hop’s Common and Bob Marley’s The Wailers, will be held at 9:30 p.m. on the University Green in front of Richter Library.

Common, an American rapper and actor, emerged into the hip-hop scene in the early 90s, with his first album Can I Borrow a Dollar? in 1992. Since then, Common has released seven albums, the most recent being Universal Mind Control, released in December 2008.

“I strive to do multiple things. I want to first make music that people can love, enjoy, and be inspired by, and hopefully they can better their lives, open their hearts, and be better people,” said Common in an exclusive interview with The Miami Hurricane.

While many of his peers were writing about stereotypical subject matter for hip-hop music, Common was set aside by his keen perceptions on politics, his sharp wit and rhyming skills, and his ability to poetically capture the daily hardships of the average person.

Supporting act The Wailers formed in 1969, and with Bob Marley, have sold 250 million albums worldwide and had 20 hits on the charts, 10 of which were in the Top 10.

“The University is extremely fortunate to have two legends join us for our homecoming festivities. This is going to be an incredible show that no one will want to miss,” said Max Winik, the Large Venue Concert Chair for Hurricane Productions.  Past headliners have included N.E.R.D, Talib Kweli, Robert Randolph and the Family Band, and The Roots.

“That’s a big spectrum of talent, so to be included on that list, I mean, that’s big!” Common said.

The hip hop artist is pumped to play at UM. “I love the city; it’s great down there! I’m looking forward to Miami. That’s a great list to be a part of,” he said.

Carey Goldenberg may be contacted at cgoldenberg@themiamihurricane.com

If you go:

What: 2009 Homecoming Concert

Who: Common with special guests The Wailers

When: November 6, 9:30p.m.

Where: University Green in front of Richter Library

Cost: FREE for UM students!

Carey Goldenberg

Senior EDGE Writer

ONE COMMENT ON THIS POST To “Common with special guests The Wailers to appear at Homecoming”

Former pro wrestler and promoter The Tennessee Stud Ron Fuller was interviewed by Ryan K. Boman of T ...

The University of Miami has its future quarterback. Jarren Williams, a consensus four-star, dual-thr ...

Through its new Leadership UMiami program, the Butler Center for Service and Leadership is empowerin ...

A Biomedical Engineering Major and campus leader, Sterile Achille involved herself in many activitie ...

University of Miami head volleyball coach Jose "Keno" Gandara is excited to announce a fou ...

University of Miami women's volleyball player Brooke McDermott is an active member in the Hurri ...