Common with special guests The Wailers to appear at Homecoming

CommonDidn’t think that the idea of Homecoming could get any better? On November 6, Hurricane Productions presents the 2009 Homecoming Concert featuring Common with special guests The Wailers. This concert, featuring hip-hop’s Common and Bob Marley’s The Wailers, will be held at 9:30 p.m. on the University Green in front of Richter Library.

Common, an American rapper and actor, emerged into the hip-hop scene in the early 90s, with his first album Can I Borrow a Dollar? in 1992. Since then, Common has released seven albums, the most recent being Universal Mind Control, released in December 2008.

“I strive to do multiple things. I want to first make music that people can love, enjoy, and be inspired by, and hopefully they can better their lives, open their hearts, and be better people,” said Common in an exclusive interview with The Miami Hurricane.

While many of his peers were writing about stereotypical subject matter for hip-hop music, Common was set aside by his keen perceptions on politics, his sharp wit and rhyming skills, and his ability to poetically capture the daily hardships of the average person.

Supporting act The Wailers formed in 1969, and with Bob Marley, have sold 250 million albums worldwide and had 20 hits on the charts, 10 of which were in the Top 10.

“The University is extremely fortunate to have two legends join us for our homecoming festivities. This is going to be an incredible show that no one will want to miss,” said Max Winik, the Large Venue Concert Chair for Hurricane Productions.  Past headliners have included N.E.R.D, Talib Kweli, Robert Randolph and the Family Band, and The Roots.

“That’s a big spectrum of talent, so to be included on that list, I mean, that’s big!” Common said.

The hip hop artist is pumped to play at UM. “I love the city; it’s great down there! I’m looking forward to Miami. That’s a great list to be a part of,” he said.

Carey Goldenberg may be contacted at cgoldenberg@themiamihurricane.com

If you go:

What: 2009 Homecoming Concert

Who: Common with special guests The Wailers

When: November 6, 9:30p.m.

Where: University Green in front of Richter Library

Cost: FREE for UM students!

Carey Goldenberg

Senior EDGE Writer

From the onset, the Miami Hurricanes' plan was for the Carol Soffer football indoor practice fa ...

Gino DiMare on Tuesday stood in a spot that two men before him had crafted into a pinnacle of succes ...

The NBA Draft is on Thursday, and the buzz around the league is that the University of Miami’s Lonni ...

Former NFL and University of Miami star Kellen Winslow Jr. was arrested Thursday for numerous allege ...

Trevor Darling's perseverance paid off. After not being selected in the NFL Draft, the former U ...

Colder Atlantic temperatures could change hurricane season forecasts, but the trend isn't expec ...

UM neurorehabilitation expert David S. Kushner, M.D., who helps modern patients recover from brain s ...

NBA Draft will be held Thursday evening in Brooklyn. ...

First-year Miami head soccer coach Sarah Barnes released Wednesday the team's schedule for the ...

Gino DiMare was officially introduced as the 10th head baseball coach in program history Tuesday in ...

Jaquan Johnson was named to Athlon Sports' Preseason All-America First Team, while Shaq Quarter ...

An outstanding showing at the USATF Championships earned Symone Mason a trip to the World U20 Champi ...