Common with special guests The Wailers to appear at Homecoming

CommonDidn’t think that the idea of Homecoming could get any better? On November 6, Hurricane Productions presents the 2009 Homecoming Concert featuring Common with special guests The Wailers. This concert, featuring hip-hop’s Common and Bob Marley’s The Wailers, will be held at 9:30 p.m. on the University Green in front of Richter Library.

Common, an American rapper and actor, emerged into the hip-hop scene in the early 90s, with his first album Can I Borrow a Dollar? in 1992. Since then, Common has released seven albums, the most recent being Universal Mind Control, released in December 2008.

“I strive to do multiple things. I want to first make music that people can love, enjoy, and be inspired by, and hopefully they can better their lives, open their hearts, and be better people,” said Common in an exclusive interview with The Miami Hurricane.

While many of his peers were writing about stereotypical subject matter for hip-hop music, Common was set aside by his keen perceptions on politics, his sharp wit and rhyming skills, and his ability to poetically capture the daily hardships of the average person.

Supporting act The Wailers formed in 1969, and with Bob Marley, have sold 250 million albums worldwide and had 20 hits on the charts, 10 of which were in the Top 10.

“The University is extremely fortunate to have two legends join us for our homecoming festivities. This is going to be an incredible show that no one will want to miss,” said Max Winik, the Large Venue Concert Chair for Hurricane Productions.  Past headliners have included N.E.R.D, Talib Kweli, Robert Randolph and the Family Band, and The Roots.

“That’s a big spectrum of talent, so to be included on that list, I mean, that’s big!” Common said.

The hip hop artist is pumped to play at UM. “I love the city; it’s great down there! I’m looking forward to Miami. That’s a great list to be a part of,” he said.

Carey Goldenberg may be contacted at cgoldenberg@themiamihurricane.com

If you go:

What: 2009 Homecoming Concert

Who: Common with special guests The Wailers

When: November 6, 9:30p.m.

Where: University Green in front of Richter Library

Cost: FREE for UM students!

Carey Goldenberg

Senior EDGE Writer

A six-pack of Canes notes on a Thursday: ▪ Draft-eligible Canes players are getting increasing recog ...

Three days after the University of Miami announced that defensive line coach Craig Kuligowski was le ...

Not only are the Hurricanes in the mix for at least five high-end running backs for the 2019 class, ...

After assembling one of the nation’s best groups of skill position players in the 2018 recruiting cl ...

Coach Kool, AKA Craig Kuligowski, is gone from the University of Miami, which is entirely uncool wit ...

Student a cappella group BisCaydence wins quarterfinals and advances to the next round in the intern ...

A closer look at the University of Miami's executive vice president for business and finance an ...

The popular Christian minister preached to more people than any other evangelist in history. ...

A vigil on the University of Miami campus, organized by UM students who graduated from Marjory Stone ...

The latest speaker in the popular lecture series at the Rosenstiel School, Jeff Goodell, shared insi ...

The University of Miami men's tennis team (5-2) returns to the court on Friday at 4 p.m., as it ...

Continuing a season-opening, seven-game homestand, No. 24 Miami is looking for its second straight s ...

Former Hurricane guard signs 10-day contract with Indiana Pacers. ...

For the second straight game, Miami's starting pitcher looked in dominant form through the firs ...

The University of Miami track and field team will compete against fellow conference members at the 2 ...