Student in intensive care due to street sweeper accident

A University of Miami student, Bianca Milov, was identified as the pedestrian struck by a Coral Gables street sweeper around 1 a.m Friday.

Milov, originally from Livingston, N.J., was hit at the 4000 block of Aurora Street.

“The University of Miami community is terribly saddened to hear of a serious injury sustained by a member of the university family,” Karla Hernandez said in a statement sent to CBS 4. “Vice President for Student Affairs Dr. Pat Whitely and the UM Miller School of Medicine team have been in touch with the family to offer our unwavering support during this difficult time.”

Sgt. Jannette Frevola of the Coral Gables Police Department could not comment on the incident citing an ongoing investigation. According to the official news release from the department no further information is available at this time.

The 20 year old is being treated at the Ryder Trauma Center’s Intensive Care Unit at Jackson Memorial Hospital.

Stay with The Miami Hurricane for the latest updates on this story.

Megan Terilli

Online Editor

After assembling one of the nation’s best groups of skill position players in the 2018 recruiting cl ...

Coach Kool, AKA Craig Kuligowski, is gone from the University of Miami, which is entirely uncool wit ...

He is considered among the finest defensive line coaches in the nation. And now, according to a writ ...

This is the time of year when every win or loss can make a difference in a team’s NCAA Tournament ch ...

Mike Brey doesn't pay much attention to the NBA draft stock of opposing players, but the Notre ...

At the University of Miami, the professor has the last word on whether students can use their laptop ...

Members of the University of Miami first response teams remind us of resources available and what to ...

Mexican activist, poet and novelist Javier Sicilia deplored the violence stemming from the “drug war ...

From the North Pole to the South Pole and everywhere in between, the art of UM alumnus Xavier Cortad ...

The No. 25-ranked University of Miami women's golf team finished ninth at the 2018 Allstate Sug ...

Three Miami women's tennis players are featured in this week's Oracle/ITA rankings, along ...

Riding a five-game road winning streak, the Miami women's basketball team will look to make it ...

After capturing its opening series with Rutgers, No. 24 Miami continues a season-opening, seven-game ...

Walker IV scored 19, Izundu scored 14 and the Canes picked up a crucial win in South Bend. ...