YOUniversity of Miami

Costa Rica, Germany, Japan, Australia. The list goes on. Each year, dozens of international students come to the University of Miami to spend anywhere from a semester to four years at the school, bringing with them their customs, foods, music choices, and more. This melting pot adds a great international feel to our school, and I, for one, love it. It lets all of us who haven’t had the opportunity to travel overseas and around the world to experience some global culture. Not to mention, there are quite a few female exchange students that really make me want to renew my passport.

This year, as I looked over my housing agreement in Pearson, I noticed that next to one of my suite mates’ name was, in italics, Great Britain. I took it as my duty to show the ‘bloke’ around, introduce him to my fraternity and my friends, and make him feel at home.

Everyone loved him immediately, and I realized all my intentions, while good-natured, weren’t needed. I did, however, think that I probably should help him meet some girls while he was here. After all, UM does boast some of the most gorgeous girls in the country, and as an exchange student, didn’t he deserve to meet some of the best the United States had to offer?

As we got in the dining hall, I told him to hold on a second, as I approached a table of a couple female friends, trying to ask them to be sweet to him. I motioned him over, and what happened still manages to blow my mind. All it took was a heavily accented, charming, James-Bond-esque “Why hello lovelies, how are we today,” and every girl in a 10-foot radius was smitten.

The moral of this story? Three things. One, international students are great, and they come here to get a good education, have fun, and meet some Americans. Two, ladies, get prepared to fall head over heels in love after a “G-day” from an Australian or a “Hows it?” from a South African. And three… I need to work on my accent.

Evan Peskin

Staff Columnist

One day left for the youngsters to show University of Miami coach Mark Richt what they can do. One d ...

Former Miami Norland High star Zach Johnson is coming home for his final year of college basketball. ...

They have been feted and adored for years by football fans from coast to coast. But legends Frank Go ...

Remember that “hit list’’ the University of Miami football team had last year? Florida State, North ...

One is a former NBA first-rounder who played 13 seasons after starring for the Miami Hurricanes in t ...

The director of the University of Miami's Osher Lifelong Learning Institute, who passed away Ap ...

Business Professor Patricia Abril, and Trustee Stuart Miller receive Faculty Senate's highest h ...

Participants of the ninth annual Walk a Mile in Her Shoes event on campus pledge to help end sexual ...

A Faculty Staff Assistance Program dance therapy class gets employees on their feet and focused on w ...

A University of Miami political scientist explores what a transition of power in Cuba means for its ...

The No. 17 Miami women's tennis team notched its 10th ACC win of the season with a 5-2 road tri ...

Due to inclement weather expected in the region Sunday, the University of Miami baseball program ann ...

The University of Miami baseball team will host visiting Pittsburgh for a three-game series beginnin ...

Johnson, Mack and McGusty join Hurricanes' program for 2018-19 season. ...

Kasey Crider was named Miami volleyball's associate head coach after three seasons on head coac ...