Stay Classy, Miami

On Monday night Canes showed their support as the Hurricanes faced long-time rival Florida State for the 54th time.

The game, aside from a celebratory occasion, showed us why FSU is our rival. We are all familiar with the jeers and cheers of both teams that come with the territory of sports, alcohol and competition.

However, the Noles took good spirit and fun above and beyond to a level of vulgarity and bad sportsmanship. Witnessing this outward display of embarrassing conduct makes you consider what is in good fun, and what is downright trashy.

Canes fans were decked in orange and green from head to toe, as one would expect as a show of support. Seminoles, too, sported shirts featuring the “U.” Rather than support their team, they focused on demeaning ours with slogans such as F*** U, thUgs, scUM and Muck Fiami. An overwhelming display of Miami’s colors in crude context cropped up on every turn.

This, however, is not even the worst. Hurricanes visiting the campus would inevitably get lost in Seminole territory. On several occasions, FSU students would happily direct them – the wrong way.

This intended malice exceeded supporting their school and focused energies on degrading ours. Noles crowded around the bus chartered for the Miami football team to welcome the players with crude gestures, signs and chants.

Rivalry became an onset of poor taste and despicable behavior.

Keeping this in mind, we call on all Canes to maintain a level of dignity and respect. When Georgia Tech visits us at the first home football game a week from today, make everyone proud to be a Miami Hurricane. Act with a level of dignity that demands respect and dispels any misconceptions of Miami as a “thug” or “scum” school.

And for goodness sake, please give people the right directions.

Chelsea Matiash

Editor in Chief 09'-10'

4 COMMENTS ON THIS POST To “Stay Classy, Miami”

1. Julian says:

Seriously? Grow up. Go Canes… F*#$ the Seminoles.

2. joshua newman says:

What is a rivalry without vulgarity and crudeness, chelsea? I feel like every year someone writes the same article about how we should have dignity and class, but its fun getting in the face of every opposing fan. It’s an adrenaline rush. If our players are on the field kicking the piss out of the other team, we should want to, nay, be obligated to support them (sans violence–sometimes) in a similar way. If your on the FSU campus, find a map, don’t ask a ‘nole — we should have pride, and part of that pride is, well, not swallowing it. If your in the bee’s nest, expect to get stung–let’s hope we keep the intensity with GA.

3. Nate Skinner says:

Come on, rivalries create this kind of atmosphere, and there’s nothing wrong with it..As long as you don’t lay a hand on someone else, you can talk as much trash as you want..When I was walking out of Doak on Monday, I wasn’t shy about talking, and it is what it is..Stop being such a wimp, and just accept that with big time rivalries, come big time trash talking, and some “unclassy” behavior..You want to attend a school where everyone is allegedly a “Gentleman”, then you should have attended UVa..

4. Chris says:

I like where your head is at, but who are you trying to kid. I wish our fans were as classy as you make us out to be, but all canes fans know what we sing when the FSU band starts playing the war chant. Now as much as I love raising my middle finger and chanting F*** you Seminoles dont try and tell me that there is more class in that act, than wearing an article of clothing with the same language.

Darrell Langham, the redshirt junior receiver who caused an uproar among Miami Hurricanes fans the p ...

This news release just in from the University of Miami, another impressive class about to be inducte ...

The University of Miami men’s basketball team got a welcome dose of good news on Monday night. Verno ...

After a disheartening week of practice injury-wise following the University of Miami’s victory at Fl ...

University of Miami’s highly-touted freshman Lonnie Walker, who had surgery for a torn right meniscu ...

Darrell Langham has been a hero twice this season, but his path to prominence has been a long one. ...

The University of Miami Sports Hall of Fame has announced the Class of 2018 inductees for the 50th A ...

Senior diver Wally Layland was recognized for her standout performance at the SMU Classic with ACC C ...

University of Miami freshman Lonnie Walker IV was among 20 players named to the watch list for the 2 ...

The Miami Hurricanes will begin preparation for the 2018 season when fall practice commences Wed., O ...