Football

Spirit fumes on campus

Guys sported authentic No. 12 jerseys while girls dawned Victoria’s Secret Pink University of Miami t-shirts the morning after.

If you’ve been trapped in the Richter Library for the past few days, our unranked Hurricanes upset the 18th-ranked Florida State Seminoles 38-34 during a nationally-televised game that has already appeared on ESPN Classic.

With the victory, Jacory Harris and company moved to No. 20 in the national polls, while head coach Bobby Bowden’s crew fell out of the rankings.

Over 400 fans decked in orange and green were at the Rathskeller for the game, starting chants of defense and C-A-N-E-S. Another 300 or so sat outside the Frost School of Music where a large screen aired the thriller.

We didn’t care that the players all the way up in the state’s capital couldn’t see or hear us.

It didn’t matter to us that analysts kept writing off our Canes as conference contenders or sleeper picks on the national scene.

It didn’t matter to us that the media kept saying that the rivalry wasn’t the same, that both teams are still a ways away from regaining their swagger and national prominence.

Despite all this, alumni showed up. Families showed up. Non-football fans even showed up with friends.

Because that’s what sports can do: bring people together.

Since I started school at the university back in 2007, I’ve continually complained about the student population’s apathetic nature towards UM athletics, organizations and activities.

On Facebook, everyone and their 1,000 closest friends commented on the game. “Miami/FSU” and “Canes” were two of the top trending topics on Twitter.

If that’s not enough proof, especially in our day and age, that this rivalry still means something to people, you’re just being foolish.

More importantly, however, was the response from the University of Miami community.

For one day – and game – at least, it seemed as though everyone on campus decided it was important enough to rep the U.

Before this spectacle happens again (preferably against Georgia Tech, Virginia Tech and Oklahoma), let’s not wait until one of the greatest college football games of all time to realize that it’s great to be a Miami Hurricane.

Reminder: If you plan on going to the Georgia Tech game on Thursday please be sure to pick up your bus sticker at the UC information desk by 5 p.m. on Monday.

Christina De Nicola may be contacted at cdenicola@themiamihurricane.com.

Christina De Nicola

Editor In Chief

The unopened Christmas gift that University of Miami defensive coordinator Manny Diaz recently spoke ...

The University of Miami is in conversations about playing the University of Alabama to kick off the ...

Michael Rumph, former Cane cornerback and current cornerbacks coach, has mentioned, along with every ...