Football

Spirit fumes on campus

Guys sported authentic No. 12 jerseys while girls dawned Victoria’s Secret Pink University of Miami t-shirts the morning after.

If you’ve been trapped in the Richter Library for the past few days, our unranked Hurricanes upset the 18th-ranked Florida State Seminoles 38-34 during a nationally-televised game that has already appeared on ESPN Classic.

With the victory, Jacory Harris and company moved to No. 20 in the national polls, while head coach Bobby Bowden’s crew fell out of the rankings.

Over 400 fans decked in orange and green were at the Rathskeller for the game, starting chants of defense and C-A-N-E-S. Another 300 or so sat outside the Frost School of Music where a large screen aired the thriller.

We didn’t care that the players all the way up in the state’s capital couldn’t see or hear us.

It didn’t matter to us that analysts kept writing off our Canes as conference contenders or sleeper picks on the national scene.

It didn’t matter to us that the media kept saying that the rivalry wasn’t the same, that both teams are still a ways away from regaining their swagger and national prominence.

Despite all this, alumni showed up. Families showed up. Non-football fans even showed up with friends.

Because that’s what sports can do: bring people together.

Since I started school at the university back in 2007, I’ve continually complained about the student population’s apathetic nature towards UM athletics, organizations and activities.

On Facebook, everyone and their 1,000 closest friends commented on the game. “Miami/FSU” and “Canes” were two of the top trending topics on Twitter.

If that’s not enough proof, especially in our day and age, that this rivalry still means something to people, you’re just being foolish.

More importantly, however, was the response from the University of Miami community.

For one day – and game – at least, it seemed as though everyone on campus decided it was important enough to rep the U.

Before this spectacle happens again (preferably against Georgia Tech, Virginia Tech and Oklahoma), let’s not wait until one of the greatest college football games of all time to realize that it’s great to be a Miami Hurricane.

Reminder: If you plan on going to the Georgia Tech game on Thursday please be sure to pick up your bus sticker at the UC information desk by 5 p.m. on Monday.

Christina De Nicola may be contacted at cdenicola@themiamihurricane.com.

Christina De Nicola

Editor In Chief

Four days had passed since his University of Miami basketball team squandered a 13-point second half ...

The Miami Hurricanes’ search for offensive line help is set to continue on the weekend of Jan. 26, w ...

It looks like Chad Thomas will have another opportunity to show NFL scouts that he is ready to play ...

Hurricanes fans, get out your pencils, calendars and a list of your favorite hotels. The Atlantic Co ...

The Beaux Arts Festival of Art debuts at a new site with picture-perfect weather and a panoply of or ...

The University of Miami men's tennis team (1-1) opened the spring portion of its 2017-18 schedu ...

The Miami women's basketball resumes play Sunday at 1 p.m., at Boston College with its northern ...

The University of Miami track and field team starred in the Lone Star State, as the Hurricanes shone ...

The Miami women's tennis team dominated play on its home court Friday to open the 2018 spring s ...

Hurricanes and Wolfpack face off at noon Sunday in Raleigh, N.C. ...