Soccer

Soccer splits weekend matches, set to face No. 1 Portland Sunday

The No. 22 Hurricanes (3-2-0) were able to escape with a 1-0 victory over the Western Carolina in its first game as hosts of the Hurricane Cup Friday night but faltered in the Sunday matinee to Navy 1-0.

The Hurricanes first game Friday night was delayed two and a half hours due to lightning and the Dayton-Navy game going into double overtime.

“That was quite the challenge,” said head coach Tricia Taliaferro. “It was a good experience for us to have to deal with. We just tried to keep as normal as we could.”

The Hurricanes scored in the 34th minute when an unmarked senior Paulelett Rick-Chambers headed the ball into to the near post off a cross by junior Britney Steinbruch who recorded her first assist of the season.

“Steinbruch crossed it and it was a beautiful cross,” Ricks-Chambers said. “I just finished the opportunity.”

On its second game Sunday afternoon, the Hurricanes lost 1-0 to the Navy Midshipman (5-0-1) as the Canes Navy opened the score in the third minute when junior Anastasia Abid lobbed the ball into the box where fellow junior Carissa Youker headed it into the goal over sophomore goalie Vikki Alonzo.

The Hurricanes regrouped and silenced Navy for most of the game except for a couple attacks on counterattack in the second half when the Canes where desperately pressing forward.

“I think we all realized we needed to pick it up,” junior Brittney Macdonald said. “It was just a realization of now we’re losing and we need to pick our level which is why we came out harder.”

UM dominated the ball and controlled possession and goal opportunities. They had 25 shots against Navy’s 3.

“I was very pleased with the team in being able to create as many chances as possible,” Taliaferro said. “But you have to finish the play.”

Senior Beverly Goebel and Steinbruch and Macdonald were nominated to the All-Tournament Team.

The Canes travel on the road face Washington on Friday night at 7:30 p.m. and No. 1 Portland two days later at the Portland invitational. The match against the Pilots will be a big litmus test for the orange and green as they go up against the No. 1-ranked team in the country.

Debora Rubi may be contacted at drubi@themiamihurricane.com.

Debora Rubi

Darrell Langham, the redshirt junior receiver who caused an uproar among Miami Hurricanes fans the p ...

This news release just in from the University of Miami, another impressive class about to be inducte ...

The University of Miami men’s basketball team got a welcome dose of good news on Monday night. Verno ...

After a disheartening week of practice injury-wise following the University of Miami’s victory at Fl ...

University of Miami’s highly-touted freshman Lonnie Walker, who had surgery for a torn right meniscu ...

Darrell Langham has been a hero twice this season, but his path to prominence has been a long one. ...

The University of Miami Sports Hall of Fame has announced the Class of 2018 inductees for the 50th A ...

Senior diver Wally Layland was recognized for her standout performance at the SMU Classic with ACC C ...

University of Miami freshman Lonnie Walker IV was among 20 players named to the watch list for the 2 ...

The Miami Hurricanes will begin preparation for the 2018 season when fall practice commences Wed., O ...