Dear V

Dear V: It takes two to tango…but we are three

I have recently been seeing two guys at once. Things were never exclusive with either one, so I don’t think I’ve done anything wrong up until this point. I’ve decided to take things to the next level with one, which means I have to end it with the other. Not only do I feel guilty, I feel like a complete bitch. Why do I feel like this? Is there a good way to tell this perfectly nice guy (who really likes me) that I no longer want to hook up with him in a nice way?

Sincerely,

Maneater

Dear Maneater,

You feel this way because you are a compassionate person, not a bitch. This is the good news. There is no guaranteed “good” way to dump someone. This is the bad news.

However, I can guide you in a more tactful direction, which will make the dumpee more likely to handle the breakup well.

Be honest. Tell him that you can no longer date him because you’re seeing someone else. It would be unfair to all three parties involved if things were to continue the way they are going.

Be concise. The more you sputter away during uncomfortable situations (such as breaking up with someone), the less sure of yourself you sound. This leaves more room for the dumpee to try and negotiate or argue with you. You made your decision. Make it clear. There is no need to whine about your innermost feelings or delve into long narratives about how you fell for one guy over the other. It’s simply not necessary.

And finally, DON’T APOLOGIZE. It is one thing to be mindful of the guy’s feelings, but it is quite another to be self-incriminating. Remember: you’re no longer going to hook up with him because you know that it is the right thing to do, even if he walks away from the conversation a little sore.

Heartache is a part of life. We all experience it at one point or another… and then maybe another. We all cause it at some point, too. An important lesson to take from this is that you don’t need to be a bad person to perceive it, or provoke it.

It’s alright to end what you feel is not meant to be with this former suitor. If everyone were afraid to walk away from an undesirable romance, simply to spare the feelings of their partner, could you imagine how miserable we’d all end up?

Besides, he might take things better than you expect.

Best of luck!

Chelsea Matiash

Editor in Chief 09'-10'

This time, there was no miracle Miami win over Duke. The fifth-ranked Blue Devils rallied from a 13- ...

It was obvious before tipoff that the University of Miami game against No. 5 Duke was no ordinary Hu ...

Miami Hurricanes backup quarterback Evan Shirreffs announced Monday on Twitter that he will transfer ...

Here’s one of the many neat things about the UM football program, a tradition that has carried on fo ...

Clemson coach Brad Brownell had a simple plan at the only practice before facing No. 18 Miami — don ...

The Beaux Arts Festival of Art debuts at a new site with picture-perfect weather and a panoply of or ...

Dr. Martin Luther King Jr.’s vision for a “Beloved Community” has inspired a number of University of ...

UM launches three cyber security certificate programs to equip professionals for the growing employm ...

The second annual Big Data Conference and Workshop hosted by UM Center for Computational Science enc ...

Now in its 67th year, the Beaux Arts Festival will move to the Foote University Green. ...

Freshman jumper Hasani Knight was named ACC Men's Field Performer of the Week. ...

MIami volleyball signee Chloe Brown was named the 2017-18 Gatorade Oregon Volleyball Player of the Y ...

The University of Miami women's basketball team will play the first of two home games in a 31-d ...

Lonnie Walker IV scored 19 points, but it wasn't enough as the Canes fell to the Blue Devils at ...

The University of Miami women's basketball team took down Clemson behind a career-high 19 point ...