‘Extract’ funny but pointless

The problem with Extract is not its misanthropic outlook on life or its somewhat cliché storyline. It’s also not that it’s not funny but rather that it doesn’t seem to serve a purpose as a film. Why, exactly, was Extract made? And why did it feel like a waste of two hours?

Extract – the story of a nondescript factory owner in a nondescript Midwestern town – is served best by its lead actor. Jason Bateman, so very good in the dearly departed Arrested Development, is the best part of the movie. His Joel, an exasperated, sexually frustrated Everyman in the vein of Arrested’s Michael Bluth, watches as his world crumbles around him. His wife – portrayed by Saturday Night Live’s Kristen Wiig – cheats on him with the world’s densest gigolo, while his employees (led by a hilarious Beth Grant) attempt to unionize without actually knowing why they’re unhappy.

Unfortunately, the film often seems contrived. That the audience members in the theater never stopped laughing is a testament to Mike Judge’s talent as a director, but this ensemble comedy, in the end, feels a little pointless.

Rating: 1.5/4 stars

Starring: Jason Bateman, Kristen Wiig, Ben Affleck

Directed By: Mike Judge

MPAA Rating: R

Sarah B. Pilchick

Senior EDGE Writer

View photos from the Syracuse at Miami game Saturday, Oct. 21, 2017, at Hard Rock Stadium in Miami G ...

CANESFAN SATISFACTION METER: G6: Time again for the latest installment of the Canesfan Satisfaction ...

Syracuse student writer Matthew Gutierrez of The Daily Orange asked me to answer some of his questio ...

After this past University of Miami football game, coach Mark Richt said the crowd came alive during ...

Syracuse visits Miami on Saturday, October 21st at Hard Rock Stadium. ...

Behind a historic performance from senior Olga Strantzali, the University of Miami volleyball team b ...

The Miami women's tennis team opened play Friday at the ITA Southeast Regional Championships Pr ...