Football

Rathskeller to host football watch party

Don’t want to pay $70 to attend the UM vs. FSU game? Don’t want to drive nine hours to Tallahassee? Afraid of missing classes Tuesday morning?

No need to worry, you can still be a part of the action at UM’s legendary Rathskeller.

On Monday evening the “Rat” will be hosting a watch party for the college football season opener. The game will air on ESPN beginning at 8 p.m., but doors will open at 7 p.m. Canes fans will gather around the big screen to watch one of the biggest rivalries in sports.

“We have been hosting watch parties for years,” senior and Rathskeller Advisory Board member Mia Amato said. “It was a huge success two years ago when Miami played at FSU, and we expect the same type of atmosphere.”

The Rat’s advisory board organized the social gathering, while Category Five and Hurricane Productions are sponsoring the event.

Drink and food specials as well as trivia questions in exchange for prizes will take place at the Rat throughout the evening.

Adjacent to UM’s sports bar and grill will be another big screen outside where Canes fans can relax near Lake Osceola and catch all the action.

Before the watch party at 7 p.m., members of Catergory 5 will be painting faces of students on the bridge that connects Hecht and Stanford Residential Colleges.

“I love being at the Rat with fellow diehard fans,” senior Brad Kenin said. “It’s a lot of fun and I’ve been going there for years to watch big games. It’s better than watching at home on my couch.”

Despite the fact that the game is on Labor Day and classes are the next morning, the Rat has more than enough eager students to sign up and help out with the festivities Monday night.

“It’s going to be a great atmosphere,” Amato said. “If you are not going to the game, it’s going to be the place to be.”

Justin Antweil

Their bats and gloves and baseball skills weren't enough Thursday night. Now, the Miami Hurrica ...

Florida State's recruiting trail hit Georgia last week, and while the #Tribe19 class is a focal ...

It's almost summer, time for college football players to wind down and chill out — every now an ...

More than a decade after former University of Miami football star Sean Taylor was murdered during a ...

Alumna and faculty member shares lessons and learning about racial identity in free parent community ...

Voters head to the polls in a historic election to choose the country’s next president. ...

From boathouse to marine research powerhouse, the Rosenstiel School of Marine and Atmospheric Scienc ...

Stormy weather in the Gulf of Mexico may have delayed Friday's competition, but wind and rain c ...

Last season, Miami Hurricanes fans created, quite simply, one of the best home-field advantages in c ...

University of Miami senior Christian Langmo and freshman Adria Soriano were edged by Florida's ...

After rallying to force a split, Estela Perez-Somarriba of the Miamis women's tennis team was u ...

The University of Miami men's tennis team will wrap up the memorable 2018 season as No. 42 in t ...