Positive messages still going strong after year

On Sept. 9, Kemy Joseph will have completed one year of sign wearing.

Over this time, the message written across them has stayed simple: You’re awesome. Don’t take life so seriously. Be an inspiration.

The construction of these signs has changed, becoming slightly more complex.

He has gone from gluing two pieces of construction paper together to joining them through lamination; he no longer tapes the sign to his shirt, but hangs it around his neck.

However, the reaction to these signs is far more extreme.

Joseph has been yelled at by a man collecting money for veterans for wearing his “Don’t take life so seriously” sign. The man accused him of not caring about soldiers that have lost limbs in war.

“I know by wearing this sign I am putting a target on my chest,” Joseph said.

One male student approached Joseph while he was wearing one sign that said “you’re awesome,” questioning whether he really could think everyone was awesome.

“Everyone is a great person,” Joseph said. “Some people have just made bad decisions.”

For the most part, everyone’s reaction is much more predictable.

“The first question is usually ‘why do you wear them?’,” he said.

The answer is Joseph’s desire to do something positive. To help someone.

These signs have had this effect. While Joseph was eating pizza in Coconut Grove, a male college student approached Joseph.

This college student had recently broken up with his girlfriend and he thanked Joseph for his sign, saying his messages made him happy during the rough time.

As Joseph took off on a road trip this previous summer, he got the same spectrum of reaction. Some people did not realize his goal and others did.

“In Vegas, the card dealers and people that were dressed stranger than me were giving me odd looks,” he said.

However, as they drove across the country, people understood the signs.

“People we would not normally have gotten to talk to came up to us,” Jack Roberts, a friend of Joseph’s who went on this trip, said. “They understood Joseph was trying to spread love.”

Joseph believes that he is capable of helping other people because of the obstacles he has faced in his life. At 14 his father died, and at the age of 18, his high school girlfriend moved in with him.

This desire to be a positive force goes beyond his signs. He offers his number, 786-897-5703, to anyone that needs to talk.

“Don’t be a jerk,” he said. “I don’t want to have to change my number.”

Eventually, he wants to make shoes that have “keep your head up” written across them.

On Tuesday, Random Acts of Kindness, which Joseph is president of, will be making signs in Ballroom C. People are encouraged to come and make their own and wear them in celebration the next day.

Joseph sees no end for wearing his signs. He plans to do it for the rest of his life.

Ed S. Fishman

News Editor

A six-pack of UM notes on a Friday: ▪ Four-star Oregon-based quarterback Michael Johnson Jr. told Ri ...

On the eve of her team’s NCAA Tournament opener, University of Miami coach Katie Meier took the oppo ...

The defeated and deflated Miami Hurricanes quietly packed up their bags and trudged out of their Ame ...

Even before Donte Ingram broke Miami’s heart and sent the Hurricanes home from the NCAA Tournament w ...

And so ends Miami's season. No. 11 seed Loyola-Chicago's Donte Ingram hit a buzzer-beating ...

From bringing communities together to understanding the impacts of urbanization on the groundwater s ...

Novelist Jennine Capó Crucet’s book talk on March 20 explores belonging, identity, and what it means ...

Musical theatre students spent quality time learning (and laughing) with Avenue Q co-creator Jeff Ma ...

The University of Miami takes concrete steps to become the hemispheric university as it builds a rel ...

A UM physicist comments on the passing of British theoretical physicist Stephen Hawking. ...

The Canes closed out the Hurricane Invitational with a strong showing on the track and in the field ...

The University of Miami rowing team kicked off its spring season at the 2018 Oak Ridge Cardinal Invi ...

The Hurricanes fell behind early and could not recover Saturday afternoon, falling to No. 23 Duke, 4 ...

The University of Miami women's basketball team had its superb 2017-18 season come to an end Sa ...

The University of Miami men's tennis team will go into a match ranked for the first time this s ...