Pi Kappa Alpha under investigation

The Gamma Omega chapter of Pi Kappa Alpha is under investigation by the University of Miami Dean of Students Office over an unregistered party.

According to William Lake, the associate dean and director of Judicial Affairs, the event took place over the weekend at a private residence.

“We have to do an investigation before we really know what happened,” Lake said.

Once the investigation is finished, possible results for the fraternity can include being found not guilty or social probation.

The Gamma Phi chapter of Sigma Chi and the Epsilon-Omega chapter of Lambda Chi Alpha are already under investigation by the University of Miami’s Dean of Students Office.

Unregistered parties are the topic of both of these investigations.

Lake added that while these events reflect poor judgment, it should not spoil the fraternities’ reputations on campus.

“These unfortunate circumstances were the product of bad decisions,” said Lake. “But these decisions do not define these fraternities.”

At the Inter-Fraternity Council meeting Tuesday night, Dean of Students Ricardo Hall and Vice President for Student Affairs Patricia A. Whitely were present to address the recurrent infractions.

“I spoke to IFC members and expressed my profound disappointment for the alleged actions of members of three of our fraternities,” Whitely said in an e-mail to The Miami Hurricane.

“I reiterated the university’s clear policies and shared that I expect all of our Greek groups to adhere to those regulations. Failure to do so, will, unfortunately, result in very serious consequences.”

Lila Albizu

Assistant News Editor

2 COMMENTS ON THIS POST To “Pi Kappa Alpha under investigation”

1. Whitney says:

Some things never change. The term “registered party” makes UM sound so lame. I say if its off campus and not at a frat house, why does UM care? Are they going to start investigating students who are not greek affiliated when they throw parties?

2. james says:

oh pike…

It’s dress rehearsal time for the Miami Hurricanes. On Thursday morning, the Hurricanes will conduct ...

Coach Mark Richt had just told the young man who grew up loving the Miami Hurricanes that he would b ...

The University of Miami has a starting quarterback. On Tuesday, 11 days before the 2017 home opener, ...

View photos from the Miami Hurricanes' practice on Wed., Aug. 23, 2017. … Click to Continue » ...

Mark Richt, pleased and seemingly confident about his selection of redshirt junior Malik Rosier as t ...

Students and faculty gathered at the Rock to catch a glimpse of the solar eclipse. ...

The University of Miami has embarked on an ambitious 10-year housing plan that will transform the st ...