Pi Kappa Alpha under investigation

The Gamma Omega chapter of Pi Kappa Alpha is under investigation by the University of Miami Dean of Students Office over an unregistered party.

According to William Lake, the associate dean and director of Judicial Affairs, the event took place over the weekend at a private residence.

“We have to do an investigation before we really know what happened,” Lake said.

Once the investigation is finished, possible results for the fraternity can include being found not guilty or social probation.

The Gamma Phi chapter of Sigma Chi and the Epsilon-Omega chapter of Lambda Chi Alpha are already under investigation by the University of Miami’s Dean of Students Office.

Unregistered parties are the topic of both of these investigations.

Lake added that while these events reflect poor judgment, it should not spoil the fraternities’ reputations on campus.

“These unfortunate circumstances were the product of bad decisions,” said Lake. “But these decisions do not define these fraternities.”

At the Inter-Fraternity Council meeting Tuesday night, Dean of Students Ricardo Hall and Vice President for Student Affairs Patricia A. Whitely were present to address the recurrent infractions.

“I spoke to IFC members and expressed my profound disappointment for the alleged actions of members of three of our fraternities,” Whitely said in an e-mail to The Miami Hurricane.

“I reiterated the university’s clear policies and shared that I expect all of our Greek groups to adhere to those regulations. Failure to do so, will, unfortunately, result in very serious consequences.”

Lila Albizu

Assistant News Editor

2 COMMENTS ON THIS POST To “Pi Kappa Alpha under investigation”

1. Whitney says:

Some things never change. The term “registered party” makes UM sound so lame. I say if its off campus and not at a frat house, why does UM care? Are they going to start investigating students who are not greek affiliated when they throw parties?

2. james says:

oh pike…

Hurricanes fans, get out your pencils, calendars and a list of your favorite hotels. The Atlantic Co ...

Three former Miami Hurricanes — defensive lineman Chad Thomas, offensive lineman KC McDermott and de ...

In all technicality, the Orange Bowl is a postseason, neutral-site bowl game that includes a top tea ...

When it comes to recruiting, the scariest sentence for Miami Hurricanes fans is this one: Nesta Silv ...

This time, there was no miracle Miami win over Duke. The fifth-ranked Blue Devils rallied from a 13- ...

The Beaux Arts Festival of Art debuts at a new site with picture-perfect weather and a panoply of or ...

Dr. Martin Luther King Jr.’s vision for a “Beloved Community” has inspired a number of University of ...

UM launches three cyber security certificate programs to equip professionals for the growing employm ...

The University of Miami released its 2018 football schedule Wednesday, highlighted by a nationally t ...

Notes from Miami's 2018 Football schedule. ...

Freshman jumper Hasani Knight was named ACC Men's Field Performer of the Week. ...

MIami volleyball signee Chloe Brown was named the 2017-18 Gatorade Oregon Volleyball Player of the Y ...

The University of Miami women's basketball team will play the first of two home games in a 31-d ...