Pi Kappa Alpha under investigation

The Gamma Omega chapter of Pi Kappa Alpha is under investigation by the University of Miami Dean of Students Office over an unregistered party.

According to William Lake, the associate dean and director of Judicial Affairs, the event took place over the weekend at a private residence.

“We have to do an investigation before we really know what happened,” Lake said.

Once the investigation is finished, possible results for the fraternity can include being found not guilty or social probation.

The Gamma Phi chapter of Sigma Chi and the Epsilon-Omega chapter of Lambda Chi Alpha are already under investigation by the University of Miami’s Dean of Students Office.

Unregistered parties are the topic of both of these investigations.

Lake added that while these events reflect poor judgment, it should not spoil the fraternities’ reputations on campus.

“These unfortunate circumstances were the product of bad decisions,” said Lake. “But these decisions do not define these fraternities.”

At the Inter-Fraternity Council meeting Tuesday night, Dean of Students Ricardo Hall and Vice President for Student Affairs Patricia A. Whitely were present to address the recurrent infractions.

“I spoke to IFC members and expressed my profound disappointment for the alleged actions of members of three of our fraternities,” Whitely said in an e-mail to The Miami Hurricane.

“I reiterated the university’s clear policies and shared that I expect all of our Greek groups to adhere to those regulations. Failure to do so, will, unfortunately, result in very serious consequences.”

Lila Albizu

Assistant News Editor

Part four of a five-part series on UM’s defense with the start of fall camp a month away: Cornerback ...

University of Miami head football coach Mark Richt was among the 20 coaches selected to the preseaso ...

Miami opens the Wooden Legacy against La Salle on Thanksgiving Day in Fullerton, Calif. ...