Creative Writing program to host poetry readings, original performances

Literary enthusiasts will have to look no further than the Oasis Deli at 6:30 p.m. this Friday night when it comes to finding a bit of well-versed entertainment.

Due in part to funding from the UM Citizens’ Board and UM Auxiliary Services, the creative writing department has partnered with the Oasis Deli in hosting a new program called USpeak.

Local writers, University of Miami students and graduates will present their original literary works.

“USPEAK is an all-campus opportunity to step up and speak your truth,” Director of Creative Writing M. Evelina Galang said. “We want to create an intellectual and creative space where poets and writers – majors and non-majors – as well as faculty share their original stories and poems at the open mic.”

Starting off what will be an eight-night run over the course of the academic year is young adult novelist and University of Miami alumna Crissa-Jean Chappell. Future performances will feature poet and Pure Imagination‘s radio host Matt Gajewski, international poet Adrian Castro, and UM alumnus Neil de la Flor.

The sessions, which will be broadcast on WVUM (90.5 FM) and made into a podcast, will also allow audience members to join in and present their own poems, stories and music at the open mic.

“I know Hurricanes are not shy,” Galang said. “I challenge them to come up and do it.”

Alexandra Leon

Senior News Writer

The University of Miami got off to a dream start, but could not hold on against No. 1 and defending ...

Photo Gallery: UM v. Boston College | Feb. 24, 2018 … Click to Continue » ...

Lonnie Walker IV’s 3-pointer with 2.3 seconds remaining capped a 14-point comeback and lifted Miami ...

March is just around the corner; and University of Miami basketball coach Jim Larrañaga wants his pl ...

Erykah Davenport always hated being The Tall Girl. Every class picture, she was in the back row, tow ...

Student a cappella group BisCaydence wins quarterfinals and advances to the next round in the intern ...

A closer look at the University of Miami's executive vice president for business and finance an ...

The popular Christian minister preached to more people than any other evangelist in history. ...

A vigil on the University of Miami campus, organized by UM students who graduated from Marjory Stone ...

The latest speaker in the popular lecture series at the Rosenstiel School, Jeff Goodell, shared insi ...

Lonnie Walker IV's three with 2.4 seconds left propelled Miami past BC at the Watsco Center. ...

The two-time defending ACC indoor champion Miami women could not make it a three-peat on Saturday, b ...

Kevin Arreaga's bronze medal in the men's weight throw led the Canes on Friday in Clemson. ...

No. 24 Miami got off to a dream start but could not hold on against No. 1 Florida Friday night, fall ...

The Hurricanes were momentarily slowed down by the first rain delay of the season, but held the Coug ...