Creative Writing program to host poetry readings, original performances

Literary enthusiasts will have to look no further than the Oasis Deli at 6:30 p.m. this Friday night when it comes to finding a bit of well-versed entertainment.

Due in part to funding from the UM Citizens’ Board and UM Auxiliary Services, the creative writing department has partnered with the Oasis Deli in hosting a new program called USpeak.

Local writers, University of Miami students and graduates will present their original literary works.

“USPEAK is an all-campus opportunity to step up and speak your truth,” Director of Creative Writing M. Evelina Galang said. “We want to create an intellectual and creative space where poets and writers – majors and non-majors – as well as faculty share their original stories and poems at the open mic.”

Starting off what will be an eight-night run over the course of the academic year is young adult novelist and University of Miami alumna Crissa-Jean Chappell. Future performances will feature poet and Pure Imagination‘s radio host Matt Gajewski, international poet Adrian Castro, and UM alumnus Neil de la Flor.

The sessions, which will be broadcast on WVUM (90.5 FM) and made into a podcast, will also allow audience members to join in and present their own poems, stories and music at the open mic.

“I know Hurricanes are not shy,” Galang said. “I challenge them to come up and do it.”

Alexandra Leon

Senior News Writer

The attorneys for University of Miami men’s basketball coach Jim Larrañaga expect indictments to be ...

Few could have imagined this scenario coming into Saturday’s University of Miami football game at ho ...

Alex Cora’s success hasn’t surprised Miami Hurricanes baseball coach Jim Morris. Cora, according to ...

The Miami soccer team will conclude its 2017 home slate Sunday against Notre Dame and recognize its ...

The Miami soccer team registered a 3-0 victory over Pittsburgh Thursday night at Cobb Stadium behind ...

Five members of the Miami women's tennis team will open play Friday at the ITA Southeast Region ...

Here are three matchups to watch Saturday as the Hurricanes take on the Syracuse Orange at Hard Rock ...