Band Of The Hour membership skyrockets

The number of members in the University of Miami’s Band of the Hour has increased by about 50 percent.

This is bigger than any single year addition in the past 10 years.

As of Tuesday it had 179 members, but Charles L. Damon, senior staff assistant of the Band of the Hour Marching Band, says it is still growing.

These numbers have made Thomas Keck, the director of the Band of the Hour, think that his three-to-five-year goal of 200 people can be accomplished by next year. This will be his second year as director.

Kake attributes the growth of the band to persistent recruiting, retention, and the book scholarships now offered to band members.

He also cited the athletic department letting the band be a larger part of the game as a reason for higher interest in the organization.

This interaction includes more opportunities to play during the game and playing cheers that have more crowd involvement.

“We are going to play music students recognize and want to hear,” Kake said.

This music will include hip hop and rock and roll as well as Michael Jackson songs.

Raquel Schifrin, a senior at Miami Dade College that marches with UM’s band, agrees with Kake’s reasons but also thinks the dismantling of Florida International University’s band because of budget problems was a factor in the growth.

“We opened our arms and welcomed them to march with us,” she said.

The University of Miami does not limit itself to students from just its schools but people from other colleges can mark with them as well.

Even with the smaller numbers of the past years, UM’s band was still an adequate size. Kake said the general rule for college bands is they should be one percent of their undergraduate student body.

UM had 10,379 undergrad students in 2007.

Ed S. Fishman

News Editor

It's almost summer, time for college football players to wind down and chill out — every now an ...

More than a decade after former University of Miami football star Sean Taylor was murdered during a ...

Lonnie Walker excelled on the court during the NBA Combine in Chicago last week. The potential lotte ...

Athlon Sports released its projections for the 2018 college football season Monday. The predictions ...

Here is some impressive news for the University of Miami football program: All but one of the remain ...

Voters head to the polls in a historic election to choose the country’s next president. ...

From boathouse to marine research powerhouse, the Rosenstiel School of Marine and Atmospheric Scienc ...

Over his more than two decades at the U, the dean of students from 1976-1989 always put students fir ...

Last season, Miami Hurricanes fans created, quite simply, one of the best home-field advantages in c ...

Confident and effective service game propelled University of Miami senior Christian Langmo and fresh ...

Estela Perez-Somarriba of the Miami women's tennis team is headed back to the NCAA Singles Cham ...

Junior becomes first three-time All-American in program history. ...

For the 16th year in a row, the Miami women's tennis team ended the season ranked in the top 20 ...