‘Taking Woodstock’ beautiful but slow

Taking Woodstock is typical of director Ang Lee: beautifully shot and compellingly acted yet somewhat plodding. Lee,  who won an Oscar for Brokeback Mountain (another gorgeous, sad and painfully slow film), seems to favor nature shots – very long nature shots – and fans of that will not be disappointed.

True to form, Lee just takes his time to allow anything substantial to happen. The plot of Taking Woodstock is not, as one might believe, the story of the concert itself; Jimi, Janis and Jerry play an almost imperceptible role in the film. Rather, Taking Woodstock is the story of how the concert came to be, of how one exasperated young man attempted to save his parents’ failing upstate motel and the musical event of a generation at the same time.

Demetri Martin’s trademark deadpan is utilized well by Lee — instead of being the film’s driving force, he allows the action to happen around him. An almost unrecognizable Imelda Staunton is his mother, a bitter Russian émigré, and Emile Hirsch is wonderful as a Vietnam veteran haunted by his experiences. However, the best performances by far belong to Liev Schreiber as a cross-dressing Marine and Jonathan Groff as the concert’s head organizer.

Rating: 3/4 stars

Starring: Demetri Martin, Jonathan Groff, Liev Schreiber

Directed By: Ang Lee

MPAA: R

Sarah B. Pilchick

Senior EDGE Writer

The University of Miami got off to a dream start, but could not hold on against No. 1 and defending ...

Photo Gallery: UM v. Boston College | Feb. 24, 2018 … Click to Continue » ...

Lonnie Walker IV’s 3-pointer with 2.3 seconds remaining capped a 14-point comeback and lifted Miami ...

March is just around the corner; and University of Miami basketball coach Jim Larrañaga wants his pl ...

Erykah Davenport always hated being The Tall Girl. Every class picture, she was in the back row, tow ...

Student a cappella group BisCaydence wins quarterfinals and advances to the next round in the intern ...

A closer look at the University of Miami's executive vice president for business and finance an ...

The popular Christian minister preached to more people than any other evangelist in history. ...

A vigil on the University of Miami campus, organized by UM students who graduated from Marjory Stone ...

The latest speaker in the popular lecture series at the Rosenstiel School, Jeff Goodell, shared insi ...

Lonnie Walker IV's three with 2.4 seconds left propelled Miami past BC at the Watsco Center. ...

No. 24 Miami dropped the second game of a rivalry series with No. 1 Florida Saturday night, falling ...

The Miami women's tennis team got back to its winning ways Saturday afternoon, defeating Georgi ...

The two-time defending ACC indoor champion Miami women could not make it a three-peat on Saturday, b ...

Kevin Arreaga's bronze medal in the men's weight throw led the Canes on Friday in Clemson. ...