Updated: UM consults state prosecutors on police incident

The University of Miami Police Department is investigating an incident last Wednesday in which two officers apprehended a student at gunpoint in the School of Communication breezeway, only to find out it was a case of mistaken identity.

At around 8 p.m., the officers spotted a student who fit the description of a suspect wanted in the attempted theft of a motorcycle near the law school. Jordan Chusid, a junior political science major who had just transferred from the University of Central Florida, was talking on his cellphone and walking to the parking lot after a Spanish class.

The incident was captured on tape by a group of communication students who were practicing with video cameras at the time. Chusid was not arrested; after questioning, the officers determined he was not the suspect they were looking for and released him.

“I thought it was a reality show or something, like Punk’d,” Chusid said later in a taped interview with some of the communication students. “I thought Ashton Kutcher was going to come out of like the trees or something.

Chusid could not be reached for further comment. He did not reply to an e-mail and Facebook message from The Miami Hurricane, which obtained copies of the tapes from the communication students.

UM Police Chief David Rivero said the incident is under investigation and he could not comment about it.

“The incident is currently under investigation to determine if law enforcement officers acted appropriately,” said Karla Hernandez, the university’s director of media relations. “We are consulting the Dade County State Attorney’s Office as is the procedure on any case involving an allegation of officer misconduct.”

In the tape, Chusid appears to comply with the officers’ order to stop. He got down on his hands and knees. One of the officers kicked his arms out from under him so that Chusid was flat out on the ground. Then an officer kicked the cell phone out of his hand.

Chusid was handcuffed and taken over to a nearby seat for questioning. After several minutes the officers apparently determined they had the wrong person, uncuffed him and allowed him to use his phone.

Three communication students who witnessed the incident all described a fast-moving and scary scene that unfolded in front of them. One of them, graduate student Akilah Johnson, recorded the scene with her video camera.

“I actually thought it was a joke,” said Nicole List, another graduate student in the class. “I thought we were being tested because it was our first day. But when it wasn’t, I was just shocked.”

“I didn’t know what to think,” added fellow student, Einar Thorsteinsson. “He didn’t look like a criminal, but I guess who does?”

Rivero did not release the names of the officers involved in the incident. When asked about officers pulling their weapons on campus, he said that university policy allows officers to use their own discretion in deciding whether to pull a gun on a suspect, including a student.

“The decision is all up to the officer,” Rivero said. “The officer must decide whether there is fear in the situation.”

The City of Miami Police Department urges their officers to use their own judgment for pulling a gun. They are instructed only to pull the trigger when ones life is in danger.

“There is not a hard and fast rule about when an officer should pull his gun out,” said Delrish Moss, the City of Miami Police Department’s public information officer. “He [the officer]has been trained when to shoot and when not to shoot, only when the potential for deadly force is there.”

As for police having guns on campus Moss said, “One of the things that have caused a lot of concerns is young kids wearing baggier clothes and concealing a weapon.”

UMPD said someone attempted to steal a motorcycle near the law school earlier that day. The suspect was a young, white male wearing a red t-shirt and shorts.

According to the witnesses and Chusid himself, the resemblance was uncannily close.

Chusid said afterward that he did not think this incident would change his mind about attending UM. He then added:

“I always somehow have a story for the first day [of classes]. Everywhere I go, there is always something weird that happens to me. This tops it, though.”

Megan Terilli

Online Editor

14 COMMENTS ON THIS POST To “Updated: UM consults state prosecutors on police incident”

1. Marlin says:

Did you notice how disgustingly obese the campus cop in the white shirt in the video is? He has no choice but to use his Gun because he can’t run!

2. James says:

This police man should be fired. There is no need to pull a gun in this situation.. he could have accidentally shot and killed the kid. UM needs to check themselves, and fast. No joke. If this happened to me we’d be looking at a lawsuit.

3. Ted says:

After Virginia Tech it appears cops have been training. The state attorneys office found they did nothing wrong. The kid’s father is an attorney and wants the cops found guilty of something so he can sue the university. $$$$ The only crime here is the fat cop needs to go on a diet.

4. Bo Yerxa says:

As one who cut his teeth in politics working in Barry Goldwater’s presidential campaign, I am hardly a liberal, bleeding or otherwise. But this is an over-the-top and unjustified take-down. If you were on your hands and knees and had your hands “kicked” out from under you, you would land on your face…it would likely hurt.

And if you have ever had loaded guns pointed at you – and I have – you know terror.

5. Ed says:

This had national distribution on Inside Higher Education today. This student was placed in mortal danger as soon as a loaded firearm was aimed at him. Hopefully, it will lead to better training for police on other campuses.

6. UM Alum says:

Oh boy, here come the bleeding heart liberals screaming brutality. Such ignorance at my alma mater isn’t shocking, but still disappointing.

When the police receive a report of a stolen vehicle, they are by law required to treat any suspects as felons, and thus are required to secure the scene by a SHOW of force. Note, this student was not touched, harmed, or in any way mis-treated. His phone was knocked away, to make sure he was not holding any other weapons in his hands, and he was taken into proper custody to ensure the safety of the officers and those around.

This officer secured the scene by keeping a person identically matching the description of the felon at bay, and protecting the safety of this camera crew who magically appeared out of no where. This is a campus, NOT the mean streets of Miami, and student safety is paramount. I for one, as a 2007 graduate of UM, am PROUD of this officer, keeping the campus safe. Suppose this guy turned out to be a Virginia Tech style killer, all you liberals would be crying bloody murder!!

Hypocrisy from the left, as usual.

7. Marvin says:

In comparison to the UNC Chapel Hill student who was shot and killed by a policeman last week, the UM student appears to be lucky.

8. Laura says:

The only thing that surprises me about this is that the ‘suspect’ wasn’t black or Latino. Why are we only outraged when its a young white man who is questioned or apprehended this way?

9. Mike says:

My God….take those guns away from Barney Fife and his friends before somebody gets killed!

10. Andrea says:

Talk about being in the right place at the right time with a cam…

11. Tim says:

Jesus Christ. No need for a gun there.

Could the once forlorn University of Miami be closer than some think to extending that national-reco ...

Some UM football nuggets on a Friday: • Evan Shirreffs is an amiable, well-mannered, studious young ...

A few media notes on a Thursday: • As has been the case most years, ABC has decided to televise the ...

Most of the University of Miami student body is on Summer break; but the Hurricanes football team is ...

University of Miami football great Cortez Kennedy, a Pro Football Hall of Famer remembered for his w ...

A new study reveals that mindfulness training, but not relaxation training, benefits college athlete ...

Frenk delivered his inaugural lecture Wednesday, officially joining the most prestigious group of Me ...

Victor Oquendo, BSC ’09, is following in his parents’ footsteps. ...

The Rosenstiel School’s final lecture of the 2017 Sea Secrets series focused on using science diplom ...

Researchers believe they have found a new way to monitor the intensity and location of hurricanes fr ...

Estela Perez-Somarriba posted a 6-4, 5-7, 6-1 victory over Mia Horvit Saturday, becoming the fourth ...

Shakima Wimbley and Aiyanna Stiverne punched their tickets to the 2017 NCAA Men's and Women ...

Photos from the Canes 5-2 win over Wake Forest. ...

Five members of the University of Maimi track and field team advanced on Day 1 of the NCAA East Prel ...

No. 40 Estela Perez-Somarriba took down No. 27 Arianne Hartono of Ole Miss, 6-4, 6-3, Thursday morni ...