Sports Briefs

Women’s Basketball

Head coach Katie Meier announced the 2009-2010 schedule for the Hurricanes on Friday. They face a 14-game ACC schedule, of which 11 teams advanced to the post season. Nebraska and Texas, two schools from the Big 12, are also on Miami’s schedule.

“This is an ambitious schedule for a young team, but I think my squad is special and will be up for the challenge,” said head coach Meier.

Football

Senior Darryl Sharpton and sophomore Sean Spence were added to the preseason watch list for the highest honor for any linebacker, the 2009 Dick Butkus Award. Of the 35 players on the list, eight are from the ACC.

Hurricanes Alumnus

The Miami Herald reported that Tim James, a former Hurricanes forward and Miami Heat 1st round draft pick in 1999, is currently serving in Iraq. He is stationed 105 miles north of Baghdad and has 11 months left in his tour of duty.

“To be able to support and defend freedom gives me great joy,” James said to The Miami Herald. “A lot of people have died for something many Americans take for granted.”

Information compiled by hurricanesports.com and The Miami Herald.

Ramon Galiana

News Editor

The University of Miami got off to a dream start, but could not hold on against No. 1 and defending ...

March is just around the corner; and University of Miami basketball coach Jim Larrañaga wants his pl ...

Erykah Davenport always hated being The Tall Girl. Every class picture, she was in the back row, tow ...

A little more than two years ago, Larry Scott was serving as the Miami Hurricanes’ interim head coac ...

The college basketball world woke up Friday morning to a bombshell report by Yahoo Sports detailing ...

Student a cappella group BisCaydence wins quarterfinals and advances to the next round in the intern ...

A closer look at the University of Miami's executive vice president for business and finance an ...

The popular Christian minister preached to more people than any other evangelist in history. ...

A vigil on the University of Miami campus, organized by UM students who graduated from Marjory Stone ...

The latest speaker in the popular lecture series at the Rosenstiel School, Jeff Goodell, shared insi ...

Kevin Arreaga's bronze medal in the men's weight throw led the Canes on Friday in Clemson. ...

No. 24 Miami got off to a dream start but could not hold on against No. 1 Florida Friday night, fall ...

The Hurricanes were momentarily slowed down by the first rain delay of the season, but held the Coug ...

The Miami women's basketball team plays its last game of the 2017-18 regular season Sunday at 4 ...

Canes and Eagles play at 2 p.m. Saturday in key ACC matchup. ...