Sports Briefs

Women’s Basketball

Head coach Katie Meier announced the 2009-2010 schedule for the Hurricanes on Friday. They face a 14-game ACC schedule, of which 11 teams advanced to the post season. Nebraska and Texas, two schools from the Big 12, are also on Miami’s schedule.

“This is an ambitious schedule for a young team, but I think my squad is special and will be up for the challenge,” said head coach Meier.

Football

Senior Darryl Sharpton and sophomore Sean Spence were added to the preseason watch list for the highest honor for any linebacker, the 2009 Dick Butkus Award. Of the 35 players on the list, eight are from the ACC.

Hurricanes Alumnus

The Miami Herald reported that Tim James, a former Hurricanes forward and Miami Heat 1st round draft pick in 1999, is currently serving in Iraq. He is stationed 105 miles north of Baghdad and has 11 months left in his tour of duty.

“To be able to support and defend freedom gives me great joy,” James said to The Miami Herald. “A lot of people have died for something many Americans take for granted.”

Information compiled by hurricanesports.com and The Miami Herald.

Ramon Galiana

News Editor

The young man convicted of killing former University of Miami football star Sean Taylor returned to ...

Lonnie Walker excelled on the court during the NBA Combine in Chicago last week. The potential lotte ...

Athlon Sports released its projections for the 2018 college football season Monday. The predictions ...

Here is some impressive news for the University of Miami football program: All but one of the remain ...

Lonnie Walker IV stood out on and off the court at the NBA Draft Combine, which ended on Sunday in C ...

Voters head to the polls in a historic election to choose the country’s next president. ...

From boathouse to marine research powerhouse, the Rosenstiel School of Marine and Atmospheric Scienc ...

Over his more than two decades at the U, the dean of students from 1976-1989 always put students fir ...

No. 7 seed Hurricanes staged a late comeback to win their opening game at the 2018 ACC Championship, ...

Estela Perez-Somarriba of the Miami women's tennis team earned ITA National Player to Watch hon ...

University of Miami senior Christian Langmo and freshman Adria Soriano will face Arkansas' Osca ...

The bracket for the NCAA Singles Championship is set and Miami sophomore Estela Perez-Somarriba will ...

Sinead Lohan and Estela Perez-Somarriba of the Miami women's tennis team earned ITA Southeast R ...