Sports Briefs

Women’s Basketball

Head coach Katie Meier announced the 2009-2010 schedule for the Hurricanes on Friday. They face a 14-game ACC schedule, of which 11 teams advanced to the post season. Nebraska and Texas, two schools from the Big 12, are also on Miami’s schedule.

“This is an ambitious schedule for a young team, but I think my squad is special and will be up for the challenge,” said head coach Meier.

Football

Senior Darryl Sharpton and sophomore Sean Spence were added to the preseason watch list for the highest honor for any linebacker, the 2009 Dick Butkus Award. Of the 35 players on the list, eight are from the ACC.

Hurricanes Alumnus

The Miami Herald reported that Tim James, a former Hurricanes forward and Miami Heat 1st round draft pick in 1999, is currently serving in Iraq. He is stationed 105 miles north of Baghdad and has 11 months left in his tour of duty.

“To be able to support and defend freedom gives me great joy,” James said to The Miami Herald. “A lot of people have died for something many Americans take for granted.”

Information compiled by hurricanesports.com and The Miami Herald.

Ramon Galiana

News Editor

Michael Rumph, former Cane cornerback and current cornerbacks coach, has mentioned, along with every ...

N’Kosi Perry, definitely on the quiet side, met the media for the first time on Monday. He’s the Mia ...

On a day in which University of Miami football coach Mark Richt said veteran quarterbacks Malik Rosi ...

Week three of fall camp began today, and the first practice after Saturday’s first scrimmage of camp ...

Researchers use a powerful technique known as Interferometric Synthetic Aperture Radar to show an in ...

UM’s First Star Academy supports foster care youth. ...