Greek life doesn’t change from real life to the screen

Courtesy of ABC

Courtesy of ABC

The perfect combination of comedy and drama, backstabbing, political jockeying, funny moments, romantic turmoil, and memorable parties are the most important ingredients of Greek, ABC Family’s hit show.  Now in its third season, the series portrays college students in fraternities and sororities, who deal with the same issues any student would at the University of Miami.

“I think I enjoy watching Greek because, aside from some less realistic things that happen on the show, like volcanoes that make it rain beer, it really is a pretty accurate depiction of what college is like and what the Greek system is like,” Blair Brettschneider, a senior and sister of Alpha Delta Pi, said.  “I don’t think there are too many other shows on TV right now that handle the issues, serious or not, that are in Greek.”

Dilshad Vadsaria, who plays Rebecca Logan on the show, a spunky politician’s daughter with a competitive streak, has similar feelings about Greek’s ability to portray a realistic college experience.

“I think we’ve found this wonderful line of [being]entertaining, but staying true to what real life is,” Vadsaria said in a phone interview. “[We portray] all the fun you have and all the painful times you have too.”

The characters of Greek study, party, and live their day-to-day lives, somehow accumulating live lessons in the meantime.  Season three, which debuts tonight at 9 p.m. (EST), brings more challenging and surprisingly philosophical issues into the mix.

“Definitely tests in friendship,” Vadsaria said.  “What you have morally lived by in your life, that may come into question [on the show], and figuring out that not everything goes the way you think life should.  I think that it’s something that will come into play and that people can relate to.”

While not all students at Miami are necessarily fans of Greek, they can at least appreciate the universal themes portrayed in the series.

Jennifer Prosniewski , a senior and member of ADPi said, “People who haven’t seen the show would like it because it’s relatable to college students.  It deals with relationships, college life, Greek life, friends. It’s also really funny.”

Brettschneider shares similar sentiments and thinks the show’s themes will ring true to students at any college campus, particularly those at UM.

“Instead of Monty’s, Greek has Dobler’s,” Brettschneider explained. “Some of the characters deal with being gay and in a fraternity.  They pass around fake IDs and go on spring break…watching it on TV, and seeing how funny or ridiculous college can be, makes the real thing seem a little less threatening.”

The third season of Greek premieres on August 31, at 9 p.m. EST.

About Author

Danielle Kaslow Senior EDGE Writer

And another one... The stars just keep committing. A few hours after Miami Southridge’s nationally h ...

Want an early look at the incoming shooting guard who has a chance to become Miami’s best basketball ...

The University of Miami quarterback corps is deep in numbers but shallow in experience. The battle c ...

Freshmen anyone? Mark Richt sounds like he’s liking these three early-enrollee true freshmen a whole ...

The University of Miami completed Day Three of spring football on Saturday, and as soon as practice ...

More than 250 participants met at the UM Fieldhouse at the Watsco Center to learn more from industry ...

Redshirt freshman diver David Dinsmore won the NCAA national championship in the men’s 10-meter plat ...

UM junior Gina Panarese was surprised on campus Thursday by the Ellen DeGeneres show and asked to pa ...

A conversation with Belén Garijo and Felicia Marie Knaul. ...

Nova Southeastern University’s Jacqueline A. Travisano will be UM’s Executive Vice President for Bus ...

Highlights from the 2016-17 Miami men's basketball season ...

Miami fell to No. 34 University of Louisville, 4-1, Sunday at the Bass-Rudd Tennis Center. ...

Facing its 10th top-30 opponent in 13 matches this season, the No. 37 Miami women's tennis team ...

Junior lefthander Michael Mediavilla was his vintage self, Miami's offense came through again, ...

Miami redshirt freshman David Dinsmore won the NCAA national championship in the men's 10-meter ...