Greek life doesn’t change from real life to the screen

Courtesy of ABC

Courtesy of ABC

The perfect combination of comedy and drama, backstabbing, political jockeying, funny moments, romantic turmoil, and memorable parties are the most important ingredients of Greek, ABC Family’s hit show.  Now in its third season, the series portrays college students in fraternities and sororities, who deal with the same issues any student would at the University of Miami.

“I think I enjoy watching Greek because, aside from some less realistic things that happen on the show, like volcanoes that make it rain beer, it really is a pretty accurate depiction of what college is like and what the Greek system is like,” Blair Brettschneider, a senior and sister of Alpha Delta Pi, said.  “I don’t think there are too many other shows on TV right now that handle the issues, serious or not, that are in Greek.”

Dilshad Vadsaria, who plays Rebecca Logan on the show, a spunky politician’s daughter with a competitive streak, has similar feelings about Greek’s ability to portray a realistic college experience.

“I think we’ve found this wonderful line of [being]entertaining, but staying true to what real life is,” Vadsaria said in a phone interview. “[We portray] all the fun you have and all the painful times you have too.”

The characters of Greek study, party, and live their day-to-day lives, somehow accumulating live lessons in the meantime.  Season three, which debuts tonight at 9 p.m. (EST), brings more challenging and surprisingly philosophical issues into the mix.

“Definitely tests in friendship,” Vadsaria said.  “What you have morally lived by in your life, that may come into question [on the show], and figuring out that not everything goes the way you think life should.  I think that it’s something that will come into play and that people can relate to.”

While not all students at Miami are necessarily fans of Greek, they can at least appreciate the universal themes portrayed in the series.

Jennifer Prosniewski , a senior and member of ADPi said, “People who haven’t seen the show would like it because it’s relatable to college students.  It deals with relationships, college life, Greek life, friends. It’s also really funny.”

Brettschneider shares similar sentiments and thinks the show’s themes will ring true to students at any college campus, particularly those at UM.

“Instead of Monty’s, Greek has Dobler’s,” Brettschneider explained. “Some of the characters deal with being gay and in a fraternity.  They pass around fake IDs and go on spring break…watching it on TV, and seeing how funny or ridiculous college can be, makes the real thing seem a little less threatening.”

The third season of Greek premieres on August 31, at 9 p.m. EST.

Danielle Kaslow

Senior EDGE Writer

Most NBA mock drafts had Miami Hurricanes guard Davon Reed going late in the second round of Thursda ...

University of Miami shooting guard Davon Reed will gather with friends and family in Ewing, New Jers ...

University of Miami great and Pro Football Hall of Famer Warren Sapp announced on Tuesday that he pl ...

The University of Miami continues to make a hard push for five-star point guard Immanuel Quickley of ...

The University of Miami’s 2018 football recruiting class, already ranked the best in the country by ...

UM female scientists share some insight on women in science, science in Hollywood and how Wonder Wom ...

Read the latest entries from UM students who are spending part or all of their summer visiting diffe ...

UM Student Affairs Advocacy Coordinator Heather Stevens has been awarded the William Leftwich Award ...

President Julio Frenk makes the case for collaboration at eMerge Americas. ...

UM College of Engineering Dean Jean-Pierre Bardet and alumnus Rony Abovitz share the stage in a disc ...

Two outgoing Miami student-athletes, Shakima Wimbley and Gracie Lachowecki, have officially been nam ...

Miami Deputy AD/SWA Jennifer Strawley has been named a member of the WBCA Board of Directors, as ann ...

The Atlantic Coast and Big Ten Conferences announced Monday, the University of Miami men's bask ...

Three members of the University of Miami men's tennis players have been selected as All-ACC Aca ...

The University of Miami women's golf team had four individuals selected to the 2017 Atlantic Co ...