Dining halls implement trayless dining

Sure, college students may have grown up with them since their earliest days in preschool. They were a staple item that was necessary in any school cafeteria before picking up your utensils and that slightly warm plate.

This semester, however, both of the University of Miami’s dining halls began serving its meals without trays.

“Over 125 major colleges and universities implemented trayless dining,” said Mel Tenen, assistant vice president of dining and vending services. “One of the interesting phenomena is that many students already chose not to use a tray; they chose to do it on their own.”

Tenen states that trayless dining was implemented for a number of reasons. It conserves energy by not needing hot water for tray washing, saves on the cost of water, energy, detergents and rinse/drying agents and significantly lessens food-waste removal costs.

According to Tenen, 1.2 million meals are served a year through the university’s dining halls, with roughly 4,000 students utilizing school meal plans.

Trayless dining was implemented before the fall semester when athletes, band members and resident assistants returned to campus.

“We found that not only were there no complaints, but there were very positive comments by students,” Tenen said. “We have found that students really prefer the dining ambience that has accrued from not having a tray.”

Tenen said that the initiative was implemented in a joint effort with student government.

“We feel that going trayless in the dining halls falls right in line with the university’s green policy commitments,” Student Government President Lionel Moise said. “We will save from the amount of water, energy and chemicals used to wash the trays.”

Moise’s student government electoral campaign included trayless dining as one of its green platforms in last semester’s elections.

“As students, we ask for a lot, and it is important that we also find ways for the university to save and to conserve our environment,” he said.

Tenen estimates that the change to trayless dining would reduce water use by 300,000 gallons and 184,000 pounds of overall waste per year.

“I actually like the switch to trayless dining,” junior Jeremy Scharf said. “When I dine I usually dine with friends, and trays simply were too large to sit comfortably. It encourages students to be more conservative with the food that they eat.”

Ramon Galiana

News Editor

He is considered among the finest defensive line coaches in the nation. And now, according to a writ ...

This is the time of year when every win or loss can make a difference in a team’s NCAA Tournament ch ...

Mike Brey doesn't pay much attention to the NBA draft stock of opposing players, but the Notre ...

He used to be a Gator. But junior Danny Reyes is plenty happy to be back home and playing for the Un ...

It’s a Wednesday morning, and one by one, the familiar Hurricane faces make their way into the non-d ...

At the University of Miami, the professor has the last word on whether students can use their laptop ...

Members of the University of Miami first response teams remind us of resources available and what to ...

Mexican activist, poet and novelist Javier Sicilia deplored the violence stemming from the “drug war ...

From the North Pole to the South Pole and everywhere in between, the art of UM alumnus Xavier Cortad ...

Walker IV scored 19, Izundu scored 14 and the Canes picked up a crucial win in South Bend. ...

The No. 25-ranked University of Miami women's golf team moved into a sixth-place tie on day two ...

After a standout first weekend at the plate with the No. 24 Hurricanes, Miami's Danny Reyes was ...

Miami women's basketball notched an impressive 77-62 triumph Sunday at Virginia, giving head co ...

Former University of Miami track and field standouts Shakima Wimbley and Tiffany Okieme were among t ...