Delayed rush affects Greek finances

Two years after the decision to move to deferred recruitment, fraternities and sororities are still making adjustments to the effect it has on dues.

“We’re not having as much money as we normally do to kick off the year, but in turn, we’re having much more money in the spring that can roll over,” said Ethan Alpern, vice-president of the Inter-Fraternity Council.

In 2007, Patricia A. Whitely, vice president for Student Affairs,  made the decision to move formal recruitment to the spring and not the fall.

In previous years, fraternities and sororities on campus were allowed to recruit freshmen and upperclassmen during the first two weeks of fall semester. Now, this time is reserved only for upperclassmen interested in Greek life.

The ultimate goal is for sororities to move completely to spring recruitment. Fraternities will still hold informal recruitment in the fall.

The decision came as an attempt to give the freshman more time to integrate themselves to campus before they made the commitment to a Greek organization.

“Change is always scary,” said Whitely in a 2008 interview with The Miami Hurricane. “The adjustment for the Greek community has been in the works since the summer of 2006.”

Last fall marked the first year that the process was implemented and the difference was evident.

“We’re still getting used to it,” Alpern said.

According to Alpern, rushing numbers for fall 2008 were very low. However, 166 men participated in the rushing process the next spring, one of the highest numbers in recent years.

“More people are rushing in the spring because they were not able to in the fall,” said Alpern.

The challenge for most fraternities and sororities comes from adjusting to a system where they only get dues once a year from freshman instead of two. They have to cope with the loss of graduated seniors’ dues, which they will not be able to replace until recruitment in the spring.

Still, most see the value in this new change.

“It lets the freshmen find out who they really are before they commit to something they’re not ready for,” Alpern said.

Lila Albizu

Assistant News Editor

Friday’s NFL drought became Saturday’s downpour for the University of Miami. Eight Miami Hurricanes ...

Cornerback Corn Elder’s career highlight is a play that will forever be ingrained in college footbal ...

Safety Rayshawn Jenkins is now a Los Angeles Charger. Jenkins, who grew up in St. Petersburg, became ...

The University of Miami celebrated on Thursday night with an NFL Draft first-round pick for the thir ...

When Al Golden recruited David Njoku to the University of Miami in 2014 the Cedar Grove, N.J. native ...

UM marks Holocaust Remembrance Day with a reading of names and recollections of a survivor. ...

A recent paper argues that not only have researchers just scratched the surface of analyzing the Ama ...

The period of the first 100 days in office is a telling gauge for a president's full term in th ...

UM students, staff and faculty join the worldwide march to end men’s violence against women. ...

Greek Week at the University of Miami is committed to raising money and awareness for United Cerebra ...

Have a look at approximately 60 of the best pictures from the Miami women's tennis team match v ...

The University of Miami football program had nine former players selected in the 2017 NFL Draft in P ...

Miami Hurricanes fullback Marquez Williams was selected with the 240th overall pick by the Jacksonvi ...

Miami Hurricanes cornerback Adrian Colbert was selected with the 229th overall pick by the San Franc ...

Miami Hurricanes wide receiver Stacy Coley was selected with the 219th overall pick by the Minnesota ...