Big burden to offensive line

Tanya Thompson//Asst Photo Editor

Tanya Thompson//Asst Photo Editor

In light of the news that quarterbacks Taylor Cook and Cannon Smith have transferred, it’s even more essential the University of Miami offensive line work as a cohesive group and protect its starter.

Nothing will be more important than the health of sophomore quarterback Jacory Harris and it will be up to the five 300 pound men in front of him to carry out that responsibility.

The Canes’ o-line will be led by Preseason All-ACC Team senior captain Jason Fox. By the end of the season he could have the most starts ever for a UM offensive lineman.

“That would mean a lot to me,” Fox said. “I definitely set that as one of my goals, and I can do it.”

To the right of Fox will be junior guard Orlando Franklin. Franklin, now weighing 318 after dropping 22 pounds since last season is in better physical condition.

“I expect to try and emerge as a team leader and help out my team as much as I can,” Franklin said. “If we’re doing what we’re supposed to be doing, we’ll stay on the field.”

Penciled in right now at center is senior A.J. Trump. Trump has played guard his whole career.

At right guard, junior Joel Figueroa has the most experience for the Canes and will start. When Figueroa is healthy he is a great force for the Hurricanes in the run game. Fig, as teammates call him, has a strong motor and has the physical tools necessary to compete, he just has to grasp the mental aspect of the game.

At right tackle lies the biggest question mark. Fifth-year senior Matt Pipho has been given the nod to start. Pipho received his first real glimpse of college football last year when Fox went down with an injury in the game against Virginia Tech.

“I came to Miami for one reason, to win the national championship,” Fox said. “I only have one year left. I’m not going to sell us short to anybody.”

For more offensive line analysis, please log on to themiamihurricane.com

Lelan LeDoux may be contacted at lledoux@themiamihurricane.com

Lelan LeDoux

USA Diving announced the recipients of its annual awards at a ceremony in conjunction with the 2017 ...