Beach shuttles to begin running

Once a month, the University of Miami will supply students with transportation to Crandon Park.

The HurryCane Shuttles will take students to and from the beach. These buses will leave Stanford Circle every half hour from 10 a.m. to 5 p.m.

They will drop students off at the parking lot adjacent to the main office building at Crandon Park.

This transportation is completely free while driving to Crandon individually requires a toll charge and a $5 parking fee at the park.

This project was a joint effort between UM Student Government and parking and transportation, specifically Richard Sobaram, the director of parking and transportation services.

Shuttles to Crandon Park have been tried before at UM, according to Moise. A few years ago, they ran on a weekly basis but there was not much student participation.

However, now freshman do not have cars and this shuttle will run only once a month, making Moise think they will be more participation.

“RAs who want to take their floors to the beach and organizations that have beach parties like the Yellow Rose Society do not have to get in cars and drive,” Moise said. “They can use our services for free.”

Moise is still working on developing a shuttle to Miracle Mile. Currently, he is discussing the idea with business owners in Miracle Mile and the City of Coral Gables.

Shuttles to Crandon Park was one of Moise’s campaign promises.

Ed S. Fishman

News Editor