Sports Briefs

Men’s Basketball

Head coach Frank Haith, now beginning his sixth year at Miami, has unveiled this season’s schedule. It includes 15 games against 2009 postseason participants. The Hurricanes host Atlantic Coast Conference foes Duke and Wake Forest, while traveling to the Dean Dome to take on the reigning national champions, the North Carolina Tar Heels.

Men’s Tennis

Luigi D’Agord, a former Hurricanes star, will compete in the U.S. Open Qualifying Tournament at the USTA National Tennis Center in Flushing, N.Y. He was named the ACC Player of the Year twice as a student-athlete, and he was also a four-time All-American. D’Agord had back-to-back undefeated seasons in 2006 and 2007.

Also participating in the tournament are alumni Mike Russell and Todd Widom. They were ranked as high as No. 60 and No. 200, respectively, in the Association of Tennis Professionals (ATP).

Baseball

Former Hurricanes Jemile Weeks and Yonder Alonso have been selected to play in the Arizona Fall League, an off-season league composed of Major League Baseball top prospects.

Women’s Volleyball

The Hurricanes are set to host its opening invitational match this weekend against Florida Gulf Coast, Prairie View A&M, and South Florida. Last season, the Hurricanes opened 13-0, including winning three tournament championships in Coral Gables, San Francisco and San Marco, Texas. All games this weekend can be heard on the student radio station at UM, 90.5 FM.

Information compiled from Hurricanesports.com

Ramon Galiana

News Editor

The University of Miami had four student-athletes selected to the watch lists for the Maxwell Award ...

The University of Miami's Symone Mason closed out the 2018 IAAF World U20 Championships with a ...