Soccer

Soccer team bounces back with win over FGCU

The University of Miami Hurricanes soccer team bounced back nicely after a disappointing loss against No. 8 Florida by defeating Florida Gulf Coast 3-0 Tuesday night at Cobb Stadium.

This marked the first time FGCU head coach Jim Blankenship returned to Coral Gables since he coached at UM from 1998-2002.

Opening up the scoring in the 35th minute was junior transfer Barbara Blocker, whose strong header over the hands of the Eagle goalie came after a perfect cross off a corner by junior Lauren Singer.

“We responded really well after the Florida game,” head coach Tricia Taliaferro said. “The team was motivated because they were not happy by the result.”

During the three days leading up to the match, the Canes worked primarily on set pieces in practice, and that attention to detail proved to be the difference maker on the first two goals of the game.

The second goal occurred in the 63rd minute when senior Jessica Wyble’s free kick just outside of the box was headed by junior Brittney Steinbruch.

Less than 10 minutes later sophomore Ashlee Burt filtered a ball through the Gulf Coast defense to senior Beverly Goebel, who lobbed the ball over the oncoming goalie.

Although the Hurricanes had a hard time controlling the ball in the first half – losing the ball quickly and making unnecessary fouls – they came back disciplined.

They finished the game with 11 fouls compared to the Eagles’ six.

“We were trying to solve a lot of things physically in the first half,” Taliaferro said. “We were a little reckless at times.”

Once Singer was inserted into the game, Miami began to take control of the ball and the game as FGCU fell back and began to depend on the counter attack. The Canes outshot the Eagles 13-8 and had four more corner kicks.

“When I came in I wanted to settle the pace of the game down,” Singer said. “My job was to focus the ball, focusing on playing our game, not theirs.”

The closest the Eagles came to scoring was a mishandled save by sophomore goalkeeper Vikki Alonzo, who left the ball precariously loose in the box in the 47th minute .

Alonzo only had to make one save in the game, getting a combined shutout with freshman Ali Brennan.

Miami returns to the field to host the Ball State Cardinals at 7:30 p.m. Friday.

Debora Rubi

Darrell Langham, the redshirt junior receiver who caused an uproar among Miami Hurricanes fans the p ...

This news release just in from the University of Miami, another impressive class about to be inducte ...

The University of Miami men’s basketball team got a welcome dose of good news on Monday night. Verno ...

After a disheartening week of practice injury-wise following the University of Miami’s victory at Fl ...

University of Miami’s highly-touted freshman Lonnie Walker, who had surgery for a torn right meniscu ...

Darrell Langham has been a hero twice this season, but his path to prominence has been a long one. ...

The University of Miami Sports Hall of Fame has announced the Class of 2018 inductees for the 50th A ...

Senior diver Wally Layland was recognized for her standout performance at the SMU Classic with ACC C ...

University of Miami freshman Lonnie Walker IV was among 20 players named to the watch list for the 2 ...

The Miami Hurricanes will begin preparation for the 2018 season when fall practice commences Wed., O ...