Shalala addresses Sen. Kennedy’s passing

University of Miami President Donna E. Shalala held a press conference yesterday to address the passing of Sen. Ted Kennedy on August 25.

For nine terms, Kennedy represented Massachusetts in the U.S. Senate.

“He was a giant,” Shalala said. “He was the most effective senator of his generation and the four generations before him.”

During the conference, Shalala referenced Kennedy’s advocacy for human rights. She also referenced Kennedy’s ability to reach across to the aisle to the conservative senators to get his legislation passed.

“Every single bill he passed had bipartisan support,” she said.

After Kennedy was diagnosed with a brain tumor in May 2008, he spent time in an apartment in Key Biscayne to stay out of the cold temperatures.

Here, UM doctors helped treat him.

“Whatever he need, we provided,” Shalala said.

Shalala thinks with Kennedy’s passing, the fight for health care reform will have new inspiration.

“There will not be wind to their backs, but Ted Kennedy will be at their backs,” she said.

Ed S. Fishman

News Editor

One day left for the youngsters to show University of Miami coach Mark Richt what they can do. One d ...

Former Miami Norland High star Zach Johnson is coming home for his final year of college basketball. ...

They have been feted and adored for years by football fans from coast to coast. But legends Frank Go ...

Remember that “hit list’’ the University of Miami football team had last year? Florida State, North ...

One is a former NBA first-rounder who played 13 seasons after starring for the Miami Hurricanes in t ...

The director of the University of Miami's Osher Lifelong Learning Institute, who passed away Ap ...

Business Professor Patricia Abril, and Trustee Stuart Miller receive Faculty Senate's highest h ...

Participants of the ninth annual Walk a Mile in Her Shoes event on campus pledge to help end sexual ...

A Faculty Staff Assistance Program dance therapy class gets employees on their feet and focused on w ...

A University of Miami political scientist explores what a transition of power in Cuba means for its ...

The No. 17 Miami women's tennis team notched its 10th ACC win of the season with a 5-2 road tri ...

Due to inclement weather expected in the region Sunday, the University of Miami baseball program ann ...

The University of Miami baseball team will host visiting Pittsburgh for a three-game series beginnin ...

Johnson, Mack and McGusty join Hurricanes' program for 2018-19 season. ...

Kasey Crider was named Miami volleyball's associate head coach after three seasons on head coac ...