Music critic, ‘New Yorker’ editor to speak at Books & Books

Music critic and New Yorker editor Ben Greenman takes readers through the psychedelic rise and tragic fall of a 1960s American rock star in his latest novel Please Step Back and will be at Books & Books in Coral Gables on Saturday to talk about it.

Modeled after the real lives of such stars as Curtis Mayfield and Bobby Womack, Please Step Back chronicles the fictional life of The Foxxes’ front man Robert Franklin, better known as Rock Foxx. The Foxxes are a popular San Francisco band that becomes famous during the late sixties and go on to follow the usual firsts of legendary rock bands: first song, first Top 100 hit and first Rolling Stone cover.

While on a high of fame and fortune, the band begins to spiral into the all too enticing world of drugs. Franklin soon discovers that the same culture that has created him has also forced the music to a screeching halt.

Intertwining the perspectives of Franklin and his estranged wife, Greenman goes beyond the life of one rock star and into the time of an American cultural revolution responsible for some of the greatest music of all time.

In true rock star style, the novel comes equipped with a bonus song written by Greenman and featuring music written by Swamp Dogg who also lends his vocals to the track.

If you go:

What: Ben Greenman, whose work has appeared in such publications as the New York Times and McSweeneys, discusses his latest novel Please Step Back.

Where: Book & Books, Coral Gables

265 Aragon Avenue
Coral Gables, Florida 33134
Tel: (305) 442-4408

When: Saturday, August 29, 2009 at 5:00 pm

Cost: Free

About Author

Ashley Torres Senior EDGE Writer

And another one... The stars just keep committing. A few hours after Miami Southridge’s nationally h ...

Want an early look at the incoming shooting guard who has a chance to become Miami’s best basketball ...

The University of Miami quarterback corps is deep in numbers but shallow in experience. The battle c ...

Freshmen anyone? Mark Richt sounds like he’s liking these three early-enrollee true freshmen a whole ...

The University of Miami completed Day Three of spring football on Saturday, and as soon as practice ...

More than 250 participants met at the UM Fieldhouse at the Watsco Center to learn more from industry ...

Redshirt freshman diver David Dinsmore won the NCAA national championship in the men’s 10-meter plat ...

UM junior Gina Panarese was surprised on campus Thursday by the Ellen DeGeneres show and asked to pa ...

A conversation with Belén Garijo and Felicia Marie Knaul. ...

Nova Southeastern University’s Jacqueline A. Travisano will be UM’s Executive Vice President for Bus ...

Highlights from the 2016-17 Miami men's basketball season ...

Miami fell to No. 34 University of Louisville, 4-1, Sunday at the Bass-Rudd Tennis Center. ...

Facing its 10th top-30 opponent in 13 matches this season, the No. 37 Miami women's tennis team ...

Junior lefthander Michael Mediavilla was his vintage self, Miami's offense came through again, ...

Miami redshirt freshman David Dinsmore won the NCAA national championship in the men's 10-meter ...