Music critic, ‘New Yorker’ editor to speak at Books & Books

Music critic and New Yorker editor Ben Greenman takes readers through the psychedelic rise and tragic fall of a 1960s American rock star in his latest novel Please Step Back and will be at Books & Books in Coral Gables on Saturday to talk about it.

Modeled after the real lives of such stars as Curtis Mayfield and Bobby Womack, Please Step Back chronicles the fictional life of The Foxxes’ front man Robert Franklin, better known as Rock Foxx. The Foxxes are a popular San Francisco band that becomes famous during the late sixties and go on to follow the usual firsts of legendary rock bands: first song, first Top 100 hit and first Rolling Stone cover.

While on a high of fame and fortune, the band begins to spiral into the all too enticing world of drugs. Franklin soon discovers that the same culture that has created him has also forced the music to a screeching halt.

Intertwining the perspectives of Franklin and his estranged wife, Greenman goes beyond the life of one rock star and into the time of an American cultural revolution responsible for some of the greatest music of all time.

In true rock star style, the novel comes equipped with a bonus song written by Greenman and featuring music written by Swamp Dogg who also lends his vocals to the track.

If you go:

What: Ben Greenman, whose work has appeared in such publications as the New York Times and McSweeneys, discusses his latest novel Please Step Back.

Where: Book & Books, Coral Gables

265 Aragon Avenue
Coral Gables, Florida 33134
Tel: (305) 442-4408

When: Saturday, August 29, 2009 at 5:00 pm

Cost: Free

Ashley Torres

Senior EDGE Writer

When Edgar Michelangeli stepped up to bat on Saturday, there was pressure. So much pressure. There w ...

On a day when the newest University of Miami football players – including heralded prep quarterback ...

How much does 44 years of history weigh? That is what these Miami Hurricanes baseball players carry ...

That nation-leading, 44-year NCAA tournament streak is not over yet. One swing of the bat on Saturda ...

View photos from the Virginia Tech at Miami Saturday, May 20, 20017, in Coral Galbes, Fla. … Click t ...

Victor Oquendo, BSC ’09, is following in his parents’ footsteps. ...

The Rosenstiel School’s final lecture of the 2017 Sea Secrets series focused on using science diplom ...

Researchers believe they have found a new way to monitor the intensity and location of hurricanes fr ...

The University of Miami welcomed nearly 3,800 new graduates into the UM alumni family during six cer ...

Speakers urge UM’s graduating students to use their skills and talents to make a difference. ...

Miami junior Jeb Bargfeldt was among those recognized by the Atlantic Coast Conference with All-ACC ...

Check out photos from the Hurricanes during Day 2 competition at the NCAA Championship. ...

The University of Miami women's track and field team enters the NCAA East Preliminary ranked No ...

After sweeping its final regular season series with Virginia Tech, No. 6 seeded Miami will open its ...

The No. 13-ranked University of Miami women's golf team had a 13-stroke improvement on Day 2 at ...