Fla. Bright Futures changes requirements

In a move designed to cut down on spending, Florida changed the state-wide scholarship for eligible students attending in-state colleges.

Bright Futures, the program that awarded scholarship money to Florida students attending in-state schools, will now provide funding to students based on credit hours taken during the year.

For students, this means that dropping courses will result in financial charges.

The recently changed scholarship program will now provide eligible students with $126 per credit hour for Florida Academic Scholarships, and $95 per credit hour for Florida Medallion and Gold Seal Scholarships.

Students that do not make repayment will be prohibited from receiving future funds, or have a hold placed on their diploma.

In addition to these changes in award amounts and penalties, students must now complete 24 credits during the school year to receive eligibility for subsequent school years.

OFSA has engaged in a massive e-mail and communications campaign to make students aware of the changes to the Bright Futures program.

Mason Powell

The attorneys for University of Miami men’s basketball coach Jim Larrañaga expect indictments to be ...

Few could have imagined this scenario coming into Saturday’s University of Miami football game at ho ...

Alex Cora’s success hasn’t surprised Miami Hurricanes baseball coach Jim Morris. Cora, according to ...

The Miami soccer team will conclude its 2017 home slate Sunday against Notre Dame and recognize its ...

The Miami soccer team registered a 3-0 victory over Pittsburgh Thursday night at Cobb Stadium behind ...

Five members of the Miami women's tennis team will open play Friday at the ITA Southeast Region ...

Here are three matchups to watch Saturday as the Hurricanes take on the Syracuse Orange at Hard Rock ...