Football

Egos were just afraid of a little competition

I sometimes wonder how certain football players acquire such large egos after accomplishing absolutely nothing.

There’s no other way to describe the reasoning behind the decision of redshirt freshmen Taylor Cook and Cannon Smith to transfer 11 days away from the season opener against No. 18 Florida State.

Head coach Randy Shannon has said all through preseason camp that the No. 2 position on the depth chart is up for grabs behind sophomore starter Jacory Harris.

And although every player aspires to start, Harris is not only the most experienced of the group, but he was high school teammates at Miami Northwestern with three of the wide receivers on the Hurricanes’ roster.

Even with the 6-4 QB “beefing” up to 190 pounds (which is a feat for him if you remember his first days on campus), Harris still looks like a piece of fresh meat for defensive linemen and linebackers coming from the blind side.

Injuries can happen anytime, anywhere. Look at the depleting defensive end position as an example, with four players missing time battling injuries.

Surely second fiddle can’t be so bad when you know your time will come eventually.

Take redshirt sophomore John Brantley of the Florida Gators. A heralded quarterback out of high school, he hasn’t seen much action with Heisman Trophy winner Tim Tebow (yes, it pains me to mention him in this column) busy winning national championships.

What these transfer moves don’t do is provide a deep scout team or positive image. As far as I can tell, three quarterbacks transferring in less than two years doesn’t look too well on a track record.

Make no mistake about it. Cook and Smith knew coming to campus that competition is what makes the program one of the best of all time.

In the prophetic words of senior running back Javarris James:

“If you come here, you come here to play. If I was worried about some competition, I would’ve went to any other school. That’s why you come here. That makes me step my game up, that makes Coop [Graig Cooper] step his game up, that makes us all great together.”

For the Canes, greatness will have to come riding the throwing arms of just two scholarship quarterbacks.

For more information on Cook and Smith log on to themiamihurricane.com.

Christina De Nicola may be contacted at cdenicola@themiamihurricane.com.

Christina De Nicola

Editor In Chief

The University of Miami got off to a dream start, but could not hold on against No. 1 and defending ...

Photo Gallery: UM v. Boston College | Feb. 24, 2018 … Click to Continue » ...

Lonnie Walker IV’s 3-pointer with 2.3 seconds remaining capped a 14-point comeback and lifted Miami ...

March is just around the corner; and University of Miami basketball coach Jim Larrañaga wants his pl ...

Erykah Davenport always hated being The Tall Girl. Every class picture, she was in the back row, tow ...

Student a cappella group BisCaydence wins quarterfinals and advances to the next round in the intern ...

A closer look at the University of Miami's executive vice president for business and finance an ...

The popular Christian minister preached to more people than any other evangelist in history. ...

A vigil on the University of Miami campus, organized by UM students who graduated from Marjory Stone ...

The latest speaker in the popular lecture series at the Rosenstiel School, Jeff Goodell, shared insi ...

Lonnie Walker IV's three with 2.4 seconds left propelled Miami past BC at the Watsco Center. ...

No. 24 Miami dropped the second game of a rivalry series with No. 1 Florida Saturday night, falling ...

The Miami women's tennis team got back to its winning ways Saturday afternoon, defeating Georgi ...

The two-time defending ACC indoor champion Miami women could not make it a three-peat on Saturday, b ...

Kevin Arreaga's bronze medal in the men's weight throw led the Canes on Friday in Clemson. ...