Book prices rise faster than inflation

book-graphicStudents will be paying more for textbooks this year as textbook prices continue to rise.

According to the New York Times article titled “Textbook Publisher to Rent to College Students,” textbook prices have tripled from 1986 to 2004, rising an average of six percent a year. That is equal to twice the rate of inflation.

The average annual cost of books is $700 to $1000, according to this same article.

In an effort to assuage the cost of keeping up in your classes textbook rental websites and pilot programs have popped up on campuses across the country.

Follett Higher Education Group, which manages UM’s and 850 other bookstores, is starting a pilot rental program this fall at 12 of their stores.

UM will not be one of these stores.

They plan to offer 20 percent of their titles at 42.5 percent of the purchase price.

“There’s a changing climate in the industry, with all the pressures on the costs of higher education,” Elio Distaola of Follett told the New York Times. “The reason we’re doing the rental pilot is just to see the viability of the program.”

Bookstores are responding to the increasingly popular textbook rental websites like Chegg.com and BookRenter.com.

Websites like Chegg allow students to rent an unlimited number of books per semester. Each book has a specific rental fee.

The average rental price on Chegg offers a savings of 65 to 85 percent off the publisher’s suggested list price, according to their Web site.

At the end of the semester Chegg customers print a prepaid return shipping label and ship their textbooks back to the supplier.

Chegg and campus bookstores follow similar guidelines when accepting books for buy-back, allowing highlighting to a minimal extent but frowning upon hand-written notes. The website claims to have saved students over $42 million.

UM’s library will not be renting books either.

“There are a few libraries across the country that are working on text book programs that involve reserve copies, swap programs, and rental programs, but we don’t have anything official in place at this time,” said librarian Yolanda Lee Cooper.

According to the Office of Financial Assistance, the university offers book scholarships to students whomake commitments to the university, such as cheerleaders and athletes.

Laura Edwins

Managing Editor

ONE COMMENT ON THIS POST To “Book prices rise faster than inflation”

1. Bill Vilberg says:

Great story on the high costs of textbooks. I encourage students to learn about open source textbooks by going to the http://www.maketextbooksaffordable.org/ web site. Textbooks for many classes, especially those taken in the first two years of a college program, are often free on-line or around $30 published. If nothing else, see if you can locate an Open Textbook for a class that you are taking, and then use it as a study guide. If it is good, recommend it to your professor. We don’t want to lower the quality of your education, but Open Texbooks are of high quality, I have confidence that they will be considered. Feel free to contact me on Facebook (http://facebook.com/bill.vilberg) if you want to encourage the use of Open Textbooks at UM.

Darrell Langham, the redshirt junior receiver who caused an uproar among Miami Hurricanes fans the p ...

This news release just in from the University of Miami, another impressive class about to be inducte ...

The University of Miami men’s basketball team got a welcome dose of good news on Monday night. Verno ...

After a disheartening week of practice injury-wise following the University of Miami’s victory at Fl ...

University of Miami’s highly-touted freshman Lonnie Walker, who had surgery for a torn right meniscu ...

Darrell Langham has been a hero twice this season, but his path to prominence has been a long one. ...

The University of Miami Sports Hall of Fame has announced the Class of 2018 inductees for the 50th A ...

Senior diver Wally Layland was recognized for her standout performance at the SMU Classic with ACC C ...

University of Miami freshman Lonnie Walker IV was among 20 players named to the watch list for the 2 ...

The Miami Hurricanes will begin preparation for the 2018 season when fall practice commences Wed., O ...