Alan Fish, former UM VP, dies at 61

Alan Fish, the former vice-president of business services and chair of disaster managementm passed away from cancer on August 22 at the age of 61.

A memorial for Fish will be held this Friday at 5 p.m. in the Gusman Concert Hall.

His name may not be recognizable to most students on campus, but since he came to UM in 1977 until he retired last year, he worked to improve life for students on the Coral Gables campus.

“One of the greatest things he did was making the washers and dryers free,” said President Donna E. Shalala. “His work helped to eliminate the differences between the rich and poor on campus.”

Fish also led the GreenU initiative to make the UM campus more environmentally sustainable.

Fish and GreenU introduced the bio-diesel HurryCane shuttles, created an extensive recycling program, added new energy-efficient products on campus, and started the UBike program, which helps students purchase affordable bikes through the bookstore.

In addition, Fish worked to open Oasis, the first Glatt Kosher eatery on campus.

He implemented the new Emergency Notification Network, which improved communication on campus in the event of a threat or disaster.

“He had a real get-it-done attitude,” said Patricia Whitely, the vice-president of student affairs. “He moved at a quick pace and had a great love for the students and the student experience.”

Megan Terilli

Online Editor

A six-pack of Canes notes on a Thursday: ▪ Draft-eligible Canes players are getting increasing recog ...

Three days after the University of Miami announced that defensive line coach Craig Kuligowski was le ...

Not only are the Hurricanes in the mix for at least five high-end running backs for the 2019 class, ...

After assembling one of the nation’s best groups of skill position players in the 2018 recruiting cl ...

Coach Kool, AKA Craig Kuligowski, is gone from the University of Miami, which is entirely uncool wit ...

Student a cappella group BisCaydence wins quarterfinals and advances to the next round in the intern ...

A closer look at the University of Miami's executive vice president for business and finance an ...

The popular Christian minister preached to more people than any other evangelist in history. ...

A vigil on the University of Miami campus, organized by UM students who graduated from Marjory Stone ...

The latest speaker in the popular lecture series at the Rosenstiel School, Jeff Goodell, shared insi ...

The University of Miami women's track team kicked off the 2018 ACC Indoor Championships with a ...

Continuing a season-opening, seven-game homestand, No. 24 Miami is looking for its second straight s ...

The Hurricanes fell in their final road game of the season, 70-51, at Georgia Tech. ...

The University of Miami men's tennis team (5-2) returns to the court on Friday at 4 p.m., as it ...

Former Hurricane guard signs 10-day contract with Indiana Pacers. ...