Venjah Hunte will testify in Sean Taylor’s murder

Venjah Hunte, one of the five suspects in the murder of former UM safety Sean Taylor, is set to testify against the other suspects after deciding not to withdraw his guilty plea.

Hunte, 21, was arrested last year in connection to Taylor’s murder.

Hunte, along with Timmy Lee Brown, 18, Eric Rivera,19, Charles Wardlow, 20, and Jason Scott Mitchell, 21, allegedly drove to Taylor’s house in Cutler Bay on Nov. 26, 2007 intending to rob it.

They were surprised to find Taylor and his girlfriend at home. Taylor was shot in the leg and died the next day from blood loss.

Hunte pleaded guilty to second-degree manslaughter and armed burglary after being arrested. In return for his testimony against the four other suspects, he would get 29 years in prison instead of a life sentence.

In a hearing in Miami on Friday, Aug. 7, Hunte was supposed to withdraw from his plea deal but ended up not doing so.

Michael Hornung withdrew from the case citing irreconcilable differences in April. Hunte has since hired Reginald Mathis as his lawyer.

As part of his plea deal he is set to testify against the four remaining suspects, amongst which is Eric Rivera, the alleged gunman.

All remaining suspects have pleaded not guilty. The trial date has been postponed several times, and is currently slated for January.

Lila Albizu

Assistant News Editor

This time, there was no miracle Miami win over Duke. The fifth-ranked Blue Devils rallied from a 13- ...

It was obvious before tipoff that the University of Miami game against No. 5 Duke was no ordinary Hu ...

Miami Hurricanes backup quarterback Evan Shirreffs announced Monday on Twitter that he will transfer ...

Here’s one of the many neat things about the UM football program, a tradition that has carried on fo ...

Clemson coach Brad Brownell had a simple plan at the only practice before facing No. 18 Miami — don ...

Dr. Martin Luther King Jr.’s vision for a “Beloved Community” has inspired a number of University of ...

UM launches three cyber security certificate programs to equip professionals for the growing employm ...

The second annual Big Data Conference and Workshop hosted by UM Center for Computational Science enc ...

Now in its 67th year, the Beaux Arts Festival will move to the Foote University Green. ...

UMIAMIFL also outperformed two key S&P benchmarks by more than nine percent. ...

Lonnie Walker IV scored 19 points, but it wasn't enough as the Canes fell to the Blue Devils at ...

The University of Miami women's basketball team took down Clemson behind a career-high 19 point ...

The University of Miami announced Monday that it has relieved Mary-Frances Monroe of her duties as h ...

As the University of Miami heads into 2018, check out the latest edition of Hurricane Magazine. ...

Hurricanes and Blue Devils square off at 7 p.m. Monday. ...